Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/17/2006 2:52:14 PM EDT
Is there a newbie guide anywhere for selecting parts for an AR-15? I've been sitting on a stripped lower for a few years now. I finally moved out of New York and into a gun loving state (Pennsylvania). I'm ready to move ahead with the build, but I'm really out of the loop when it comes to parts. So I'm looking for a guide to help my selection process.

For example, I really have no idea what the differences are in the different triggers (regular, 2 stage). I don't know what the advantages/disadvantages are to an A3 upper as opposed to an A2. Do I want 5.56 NATO or .223 Rem? I thought they were the same, but some sites are giving me an option.

Sorry for acting like such a newb, but I am. I just don't want to waste my money on parts that I'd replace in 6 months. I'm building a gun for plinking. So, basically I'm looking for a simple, reliable gun, that's going to be fun to shoot. I asked some Army buddies, but they don't have a clue. They just shoot whatever Uncle Sam gives them. Most prefer the M-14 to the M-16 or M-4 in combat situations anyway (or a shotgun for close quarter stuff).

Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:20:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2006 5:21:28 PM EDT by M4Madness]

Originally Posted By JDub:
For example, I really have no idea what the differences are in the different triggers (regular, 2 stage).

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=258698

I don't know what the advantages/disadvantages are to an A3 upper as opposed to an A2.

I'd recommend the A3 (flattop) upper to facilitate easy optics mounting. If you put a detachable carry handle on an A3 upper, it'll work just like an A2 upper.

Do I want 5.56 NATO or .223 Rem? I thought they were the same, but some sites are giving me an option.

If you are planning on using mil-surp ammo, you'll want 5.56. Extraction failures and cycling problems may be seen when firing hot 5.56 ammo in .223-chambered rifles.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:06:55 PM EDT
hey, thanks.

so the 2 stage is like my glock. very nice.
Top Top