Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 11:14:46 AM EDT
Is DuraFill compatible with Moly Resin?

Some people have suggested JB Weld.  Has anyone tried that under Moly Resin?  If so, how did it work.

I want to fill in the deer head on a stag lower and then shoot it with grayish-black moly resin for use with my A1 upper until I can obtain an A1-style lower.

Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#1]
sell the stag and buy one of these GTS
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice lowers, but I'd have to add a $35 transfer fee to the price.  Stags are available locally and will be just fine for my project.  I just thought that since I will be refinishing the lowers anyway, I might as well fill in the deer head.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:38:51 PM EDT
[#3]
go for it and post the results
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Nice lowers, but I'd have to add a $35 transfer fee to the price.  Stags are available locally and will be just fine for my project.  I just thought that since I will be refinishing the lowers anyway, I might as well fill in the deer head.

WHere are they available locally???teknic??

ETA: I may need to do this also so , TAG
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Try some West System epoxy with their aluminum powder added. I'd open up the logo with a dremel to give the epoxy a better bite. Google their website, it has all the info. Should actually be pretty easy, 110% solid, and undetectable given my experiences with the WS products.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Just wondering, don't go crazy if its stupid, but could you use bondo?  Seems like it would work alright for cosmetic stuff and its cheap and easy to get.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

WHere are they available locally???teknic??

ETA: I may need to do this also so , TAG

http://www.discountgunsales.com/ has a storefront in Kirkland.  They are currently out of stock but will have some in a week to 10 days.  I already paid for mine.  $247 for two, IIRC, which includes a 2% charge for using a credit card and the Governor's 8.8%.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#8]
tag

The safety markings on the right side bug me more than the deer head.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
tag

The safety markings on the right side bug me more than the deer head.

I forgot about that.  (I don't have the lowers in hand yet).  One more reason to do it.

I sent an email to Norrells to see what they recommend.  If the old rollmarks aren't completely invisible after I refinish the lowers, I don't want to do it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#10]
durafill from lauer custom weaponry is made for filling prior to refinishing...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]
They can be welded up and smoothed out. Guys with M16 conversions have it done all the time when having selector rollmarks changed from "SAFE / FIRE" to "SAFE / SEMI / AUTO". The "FIRE" has to be welded over and re-engraved "SEMI".
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw the thread title and knew it was a stag lower immediately.

Seems there aren't a lot of fans of the "queer deer"

Not tacticool enough.

Personally i use it to fuck with my liberal friends

"oh my gawd! What do you need an assault rifle for!"
"this thing?  It's a deer rifle, see."
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I saw the thread title and knew it was a stag lower immediately.

Seems there aren't a lot of fans of the "queer deer"

Not tacticool enough.

Personally i use it to fuck with my liberal friends

"oh my gawd! What do you need an assault rifle for!"
"this thing?  It's a deer rifle, see."

That's a good one!

I got a response to an email to John Norrell.  He recommended TIG welding over unwanted markings with a soft aluminum rod, machining them smooth again, and then normal prep and refinishing.  If I decide to go to that much trouble, I could also have the A2 lower machined to (or close to) A1 specs.  WA-Tom at Total Silence said he can do that.  (I don't have the equipment, time or inclination to do it myself).

I may just leave the damned deer head and fire control markings.  In theory, this is a temporary fix until I can get an A1-style lower.  One of the lowers will go under an M16A1 upper for my brother-in-law, who was in the 82nd during the early '80s.  He isn't as particular about the A1 versus A2 lower receiver details as I am.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top