Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2006 2:32:10 PM EDT
OK, thanks to the help of the pictures and instructions here, I gotten the lower parts kit install well underway.  I have a Lauer Custom lower and a Stag LPK, as well as the Stag collapsible stock and upper.

I've run into a couple of problems... well, I ran into a lot of problems, but have resolved all but these so far.....

1.  The pivot pin install resulted in the pivot pin that will not retract.  My impression is that it is supposed to slide more or less freely across the gap.  How do I retract it now?

2.  The pistol grip doesn't fit.  It will not slide onto the lower as the lower is too wide, or the grip area too narrow.  The grip is some sort of plastic.  What shall I do to get it to fit?

3.  The selector switch hangs up when the detent is in place, especially when spring pressure is applied.

4.  I have a Stag 6 position collapsible stock that apears to be frozen.  There is a bolt contraption that has a pin... it seems to be spring loaded, but I have no idea how to adjust it, and no instructions.

The bolt catch spring either wasn't included or disappeared.  I think I have a replacement en route, thanks!

The first one is the hardest!  After this they will all be easy, right?

TIA

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I always polish the point of  ALL the detent pins  to knock off the sharp point and make everything work smoother.  I also hit everything with CLP so that it slides smoothly. Nothing works right when it is dry. Put a drop of oil on the pins and see if you can get them sliding back and forth. Then slide them back and forth 20 or 30 times to break them in

The pistol grip just wants you to get muscular with it.  Be careful that you don't crimp the spring.  It will go on.

Polish the selector detent pin's top face.  Put some lube on the pin and spring [ all the pins and springs ].

Nobody ever tells noobs to lube and polish up all the little bits.

rj
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I marinated all the parts in CLP before beginning, just put the whole mess, except the pistol grip, in a baggie with CLP, probably for several days while I got the Kalifornistan stuff to stay legal here.  I read the build thread several times, and all the rest.  I did not read about polishing the detents.

I've been sitting here trying to figure out how to get the pivot pin back out.  These seem to be different than the military versions shown in the manuals.  Are they?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you post a pic. of the the stock? Did you buy it from Stag? I'm sure they will take care of it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, encouraged by these responses, I have "muscled" the pistol grip onto the lower, and the selector seems to function satisfactorily!  We're having fun now!!!

Then I sat here and, well, I don't know how to describe it other than I "fiddled" with the stock for a bit.  There is a threaded gizmo, so I turned it back onto the stock and pretty soon, the whole thing popped into submission, and now appears to function as I expected.

Encouraged by these successes, I'm off to the races!

I still haven't figured out how to get the pivot pin back out, but now that I am on this roll, perhaps it is just a matter of more "fiddling".

I imagine you guys who know all about this are laughing your asses off, but the last thing I built was a shoe box when I was in the Cub Scouts, more than 50 years ago!  I am doing this as a learning experience, after all!  And it's cheaper than buying a California legal already made up equivalent.  So I appreciate teh help, alot!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:28:03 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, I now have everything put together, except for the bolt catch which is missing a spring.  I should have that early next week!  I can't wait to get it all finished... it's really exciting, and I am glad it is possible to do something like this.  The learning curve is almost straight vertical on things like this.

Thanks for the suggestions......
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The holes in the pivot pin that the detent fits into have a sharp edge when new. This and the unpolished face makes it hard to get the pin to open the first few times. Carefully, I repeat, CAREFULLY , tap the pin over with a plastic punch or use something like an old tooth brush handle for a tool to push hard on the pin. It should just pop over and after a couple of trips back and forth it will start to loosen up.

Good luck
rj
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#7]
After much fiddling around, I finally got the entire thing together last night, Yippee!

While handling, I noticed something rattling around in the innards, and when I opened it to investigate, the buffer retainer spring was gone, and the buffer retainer was loose in the innards.  

While mulling that over, I chanced upon the bolt catch spring which had gone missing when I opened the baggies initially, so I installed that.  That is the toughest part of the entire process.

Any ideas where to get a buffer retainer spring?

TIA
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#8]
You probably don't have the buffer tube far enough forward. Check out the guide above.

rj
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top