Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2006 10:26:44 AM EDT
Just got a barrel assy for a build and the gas tube hole in the FSB seems slightly too small for the gas tube. Any reason I shouldn't just use a Dremel and open it up a little bit?

Thx.

Whisky19
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:28:50 AM EDT
[#1]
maybe just dirty or has burs.

get something to clean it out first.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:33:20 AM EDT
[#2]
The Bushmaster barrels I've used were a little tight unless the FSB hole was first cleaned with some sort of cleaner or penetrating oil and a Q-tip.  Try some Hoppes or break-free on a Q-tip, run it in the hole, swab with dry end of Q-tip, and then insert gas tube.  Might find it fits a little better.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Any reason I shouldn't just use a Dremel and open it up a little bit?

Yes.  Gas leak/blow-by resulting in bolt-overs, FTEs, and short-cycling in general.  If you absolutely have to enlarge the hole, use fine grit sandpaper rolled into a tube and work it by hand.  It's supposed to be tight.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys,

Glad I asked before just going at it with the Dremel.

ETA: Got it in! I got myself some emery cloth at Home Depot and slowly worked the fsb hole with it rolled up in a tube as suggested. I also polished the tube using the emery cloth. I just kept at it until the tube almost slid in. I then lightly tapped the tube in using a plastic hammer and it slid right in. Using a pair of pliers, I twisted the tube back and forth in the hole and it now fits fine, Thanks for the help!

Whisky19

Whisky19
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top