Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 5:27:01 AM EDT
I'm wanting to build my own gun. I was wondering what parts I have to have delivered through FFL dealer and what can I have sent directly to me? I live in Oregon, the law here is that all guns bought have to go through a background check. A person does not have to go through a background check if buying from a private party.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:47:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm wanting to build my own gun. I was wondering what parts I have to have delivered through FFL dealer and what can I have sent directly to me? I live in Oregon, the law here is that all guns bought have to go through a background check. A person does not have to go through a background check if buying from a private party.

The only part of an AR that is considered a firearm and thus requires an FFL transfer is the lower receiver.  Stripped or complete, it doesn't matter.  The barrel, upper receiver, LPK, buttstock, etc. are just parts and do not require an FFL transfer.  If you could find a stripped lower and do a private sale, that would be even better.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#2]
"do a private sale, that would be even better"

OR don't break the law and have a criminal record, then the background check is no big deal.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

OR don't break the law and have a criminal record, then the background check is no big deal.

That's true, background checks are no big deal, but it's more a matter of where does the  information on the 4473's go, how is it stored and who has access to it.  I fail to believe the ATF is destroying the sale information like they're supposed to.  Call me paranoid if you want.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:19:19 AM EDT
[#4]
i have never given my social security number on those forms yet...  i won't unless its a mandate...  i'll give me information to follow the law, but the soc # stays with me...

two cents.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:28:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the answer. Here they take fingerprints too. I've herd that they keep the records forever too. I would rather buy from private party. I like my privacy and plan to keep it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
DO NOT GIVE SS NUMBER!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Bah.  Why would you care if you put your SS on the form?  You put every other piece of info.  Lighten up on the tinfoil.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#8]
i know wal-mart keeps the 4473's for 20 years in a back room.....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Every Dealer keeps them for 20 years.  If a Dealer goes out of business, he sends them to the BATFE.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I know a lot of places forget to destroy the forms after 20 years.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:00:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's true, background checks are no big deal, but it's more a matter of where does the  information on the 4473's go, how is it stored and who has access to it.  I fail to believe the ATF is destroying the sale information like they're supposed to.  Call me paranoid if you want.  MJD

Which was the deciding factor in me doing a FTF buy on a completed AR in lieu of buying a stripped lower and building my own at this time. When I can find a stripped lower from someone local, I'll do a FTF on that too. Then I'll start to build my own.

A single traffic ticket (and I was innocent!) is the extent of my criminal career... but I value my privacy.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top