Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 12:14:57 AM EDT
See title.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:20:47 AM EDT
[#1]
stripped upper or barrel swap?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:03:23 AM EDT
[#2]
It will depend as stated above.  It this a full assembly from the ground up or simple swap from one receiver to the other.  There are also some considerations regarding the FSB or gas block that can effect time for install.  

I would said a simple swap from one receiver to another can take as little at 30 minutes or as much as a 1 hour.  The full build up would depend on whic type of upper you have.  The most challenging during disassembly is the FSB pins.  There are several challenging parts during re-assembly.  They mostly pertain to alignment of the barrel nut and gas tube.  

Hope this helps.  If not please be more specific in what you want to do.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:23:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry guys, here's more details:

-Upper has FA and dust cover

-Barrel has FSB already on it

Only thing needed to be done is screw in barrel w/ delta ring and install gas tube.

I would do it myself, but I don't have a wrench and spent 2 weeks waiting for one to come from

Olyarms; called them back and they said they're out b/c of a problem with the casting process.

Would have been nice for them to call and let me know instead of vice versa...

Anyway, I figured the hell with it, and a local shop said they could do it, $40/hr.

Just trying to figure out how long it should take for someone with the proper tools and experience;

I don't want smoke blown up my ass about how long it took them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:32:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Well if an AR experienced  gunsmith is doing it I would definitely say an hour or less, so $40 bucks would not be bad. Barrel wrenches usually run approx $30 and a vise block usually another $30. Have you tried calling one of the other industry partners for tools, Del-Ton, J&T or Bushmaster? I’m always weary about other people working on my weapons, so if you’re the same as me…… investing in the tools and waiting for them to arrive might be in your best interest.

If your into AR’s for the long haul you’ll eventually end up buying the tools so why not get them now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:37:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, no more than a hour. If they charge more runaway.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:48:39 AM EDT
[#6]
about 10 mins
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#7]
They should be able to do it in under a half hour easily (more like eklikwhoa's quote of ten minutes), but probably have a one-hour minimum charge.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Try the VA hometown forum.  Chances are there's a barrel nut wrench within 30 min of you that you could use for free.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
about 10 mins

MAX.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#10]
 If you are doing it youself ( or, hell, if anyone is doing it ) it should take as long as it takes to do the best possible job.  If it takes twenty minutes or two hours....it's the quaility of the work that counts.....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#11]
IT should not take more that 30 minutes if there is a barrel to remove first.  10 minutes on a new build if you spend 5 minutes bullshitting around talking to other people whiel doing it.  IF you didn't do well with LEGOs as a kid you probably should have someone else do it.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:56:05 PM EDT
[#12]
5-10 min to install a barrel to a bare upper ...

20-30 min to install a barrel on a upper that already has a barrel installed.....

30-60 min to install a barrel on an upper with FF tube...........

i second you checking the hometown forum for a close by member abelto do it for you, or at least loan you the tools.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#13]
3 mins. Your  just screwing the stupid thing on. Not rocket science.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the estimates!  

I'm actually not in my home town, I'm around 2000 miles away at Ft. Bliss for another 2 months, then it's Ft. Living Room.  

If I could have gotten my wrench from Oly in a timely manner we would have given it a shot in my unit arms room (work bench and vices), but at this point, I just want my upper assembled.

Living in a 2 bedroom apartment doesn't lend itself to gunsmithing, either, so I figure this will be my last build for some time, until I can get myself established back east.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#15]
unit armorer doestnt have one?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#16]
less than 20mins

just as long as you dont loose any pins....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
about 10 mins

I was going to say 20 min. You would be able to do it in less time if you dont have to look around the shop for your tools.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#18]
About 1\4 of a 12 fl oz beer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:50:59 PM EDT
[#19]
"Unit Armorer doesn't have one?"  

<rant deleted>  Nevermind, job related...

I was the Armorer until recently (ETS soon), and, um, nope, that's above Unit Level maintenance according to the -10.

My replacement did it once in his last (line) unit, but I guess it depends on the unit, and the command.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top