Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/25/2006 3:47:51 PM EDT
Trying to remove my FSB to install a FF HG. Got the roll pins for the gas tube and the sling swivel out easily. Cannot remove the old HG yet since it too is a FF style. Supported the barrel on a set of 2X4s with a small gap for the pins to not be in contact on the bottom and hit them with a 1/4 punch to break them loose to no avail.

I've hit them as hard as I fell confortable with at this point, put a small scratch on the FSB already from some slipping of the punch.  They are supposed to come out to the same side as spent brass does correct? Is it possible they were put in backward before I got it? The eyeballs make it "look" like the ejection side it slightly larger than the safety side but I do not have a micrometer.

Am I just not hitting them hard enough? Can I break or damage the barrel by using too much force? Iam considering trying to drill them out at this point. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
They could be put in from either side, so if you think one side is larger, attack it from the small side.

You need to hit your punch with a large hammer, and shock it loose.  It isn't like driving a nail, you need to hit it hard.  Gradual strikes only mushroom out the side you are striking.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
BFH works well
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#3]
That was it guys, I was just being too timid with the big FINE hammer...LOL.

I gave it one helluva whack and it went flush, was easy from there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad to hear it, this is something that comes up quite often, and next time you can give the answer based off experience.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:23:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup, glad to give it back like I got it. The search function was FUBAR and unable to help, plus since I made about 10 different searches it took quite some time with the 60 second delays...grrrr.

Thanks again, no head over to bulldog's website and anwer my questions about Norrells
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Had a little pickle with mine when I had to take it off.  Don't worry about the scratches, if you have a little cold blue lying around, it makes a quick  and effective coverup!

Gundraw
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:30:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks again, no head over to bulldog's website and anwer my questions about Norrells

Ok, its been answered.....

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I bet the barrel was a Bushmaster.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top