Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/24/2006 8:18:59 PM EDT
I'm trying to put together my first lower & the trigger guard roll pin is giving me issues.

I think is a little too big & it is taking a LOT of hammering to get it in.

I've gotten it about halfway in but I'm afraid to go further for fear of breaking the receiver.

I'm using an 8 oz. ball peen hammer and am supporting the other side of the guard, as instructed in the guide on this site.

It won't come out with pliers either.

What should I do? Keep tapping away at it? I've been applying LOTS of oil to the hole & pin.

How tough should it be to get one of these in??
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:56:42 PM EDT
It can be very hard to get in. I usually just keep beating on it til it goes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:18:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/24/2006 9:20:46 PM EDT by HarrySacz]
I had the same problem,the trigger guard was the problem,it fit the lower but as soon as it went in the guard it got stuck, i carfully drilled it slightly bigger and it slide right through.Get some vice grips and rotate it as you pull it back.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:28:13 PM EDT
At this point, adjust the Vise Grips until the well taped jaws just touch the pin and the tab on the opposite side of the receiver when the handles are fully closed.

Now, open the Vice Grips, turn the knob 1/2 turn clockwise, and replace on the pin and receiver. Give it another squeeze.

Continue, half a turn at a time.

Finally you will get it to where the pin is almost flush, sticking out about 1/16". Do not try to squeeze it flush with the pliers. You could break the tab.

To finish, put some tape on the anvil (flat machined) surface of your bench vise. Have someone hold the receiver so that the tab is laying firmly on the flat anvil surface where you placed tape.

Tap the pin flush with a hammber and punch. If no punch, an ordinary carpenter's nail set will do.

I use a 3# hammer, and just let the weight of the hammer fall only a few inches to do this job. If using a carpenter's claw hammer, about a 4"-6" gentle swing is all it takes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:33:59 PM EDT
You have more to do.. use the same method.

Now drop in the spring and detent, position the bolt catch, and make sure it is lined up. If the pin protudes just slightly into the slot you can feel when you have the hole lined up on it.

Here you can go on and press it home.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:38:18 PM EDT
And since you haven't done this before... when you install the grip, make sure you slide it on perpendicular to the bore line, not at the screw angle. The spring and the detented for the safety selector are held on by the grip. If you slide it on at an angle the spring will be bent and/or crimped. A loop of the spring can be caught between the receiver and grip, making the safety very stiff.

Also, those springs are often too long, and clipping a coil or two will help make the safety work more smoothly.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:54:10 PM EDT
Thanks for the great advice.

The bolt catch roll pin went in with only a few light hammer taps, which further makes me think that the trigger guard roll pin or trigger guard is way out of spec.

I'm going to try some vise-grips tonight and depending how that goes, I'm considering taking a dremel and cutting off the trigger guard & just buying a new guard & pin.

What do you guys think?

I really do not want to damage the receiver and I really believe that if I keep hammering this pin in, I will damage the receiver.

Both parts are DPMS from RB Precision - should I maybe try different parts? (EXCELLENT service from RBP, BTW!)

Thanks again for all the help!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:52:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:46:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RobertM:
Did you put it in backwards?

Don't ask me how I know.

How exactly do you put a roll pin in backwards?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:54:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:01:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 5:01:52 PM EDT by FALARAK]

That must take special talent.... since it really only goes one way. I assume you hadn't locked in the springloaded detent?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:46:10 PM EDT
Top Top