Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2006 10:49:30 AM EDT
If I build an 80% lower do I have to anodize it or can I use Guncote or Duracoat to finish it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:20:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I think so, but annodizing gives the DuraCoat, GunKote, and Moly Resin a good surface to bond to.  If you aren't going to, you may want to make sure you sand blast it to rough it up a bit.  I was thinking about getting one, but bead blasting it and just leaving it bead blasted.

-C4-
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to anodize it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#3]
+1

Anodizing is a chemical conversion process that makes the outside layer much, much harder than the raw aluminum is.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
That is what I was afraid of.  There appears to be no way to do it cheaply.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That is what I was afraid of.  There appears to be no way to do it cheaply.

If you have a battery charger and a couple of plastic buckets you can do it yourself.  It would only cost about $10 for the battery acid.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Tannery Shop

Tannery Shop did anodizing, but by the looks of the website, they farm it out now, and it looks a tad more expensive.  I had five upper receivers done for $100 + shipping a bit ago.  Now US Anodizing is listed and at $40 per.  Looks like I got in at the right time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#7]
www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

Just keep scrolling down and reading.  This site is excellent.  You can do the basic anodizing with just a battery charger and some battery acid (sulfuric acid).  

You can color it black, buy the stuff from Jim, or spray it with Norrell's.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Tannery Shop

Tannery Shop did anodizing, but by the looks of the website, they farm it out now, and it looks a tad more expensive.  I had five upper receivers done for $100 + shipping a bit ago.  Now US Anodizing is listed and at $40 per.  Looks like I got in at the right time.

It is still Victor that does the anodizing, he just got a new website.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tannery Shop

It is still Victor that does the anodizing, he just got a new website.

Good to know.  He does great work.  Still a bit more pricey, but maybe bulk gets you a break.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:27:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
+1

Anodizing is a chemical conversion process that makes the outside layer much, much harder than the raw aluminum is.

+2

anodizing DOES make the aluminum surface harder - this is important.  i wouldn't skip this part of the process.  if you want it painted, camo'd, or anodized in other colors, IM me and i can send you a list of stuff.  superior sends units out for all kinds or colors of anodization and kat kamo will fix you up in a jiffy with a epoxied finish.

you've got options.

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Anybody know where to get sulfuric acid (battery wholesalers are all that Ive seen mentioned which is ambiguous) for anodizing?  
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html

Just keep scrolling down and reading.  This site is excellent.  You can do the basic anodizing with just a battery charger and some battery acid (sulfuric acid).  

You can color it black, buy the stuff from Jim, or spray it with Norrell's.

Good site with lots of info.  I have been deciding to send mine out or try it at home.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Anybody know where to get sulfuric acid (battery wholesalers are all that Ive seen mentioned which is ambiguous) for anodizing?  

Any auto parts store should have it.  Just call around.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:47:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

i've got a pallet of old batteries i'd really like to be rid of...  the commute from TN might be a bitch though...  

seriously, i don't know if an old car battery would have the concentration you need. but if it could be used, you can find plenty of them around.

septic tank

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top