Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/22/2006 5:08:51 PM EDT
DPMS Multi-Tool AR-15 Steel

I want it to remove/install stocks, regular maintenance work on ARs.  

Any better suggestions than this one, or will it do for most tasks?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Light work????  Uhmmmmm, ya.  Mine's been hit multiple times with a small sledge and keeps on going.  There's been some stubborn barrel nuts in my time, but my DPMS tool has held up well.  Others have broken theirs.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#2]
DPMS multi tool..... it's the shizzle.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:55:09 PM EDT
[#3]
It will work fine, they are a good wrench.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all.

Do I still need a Carbine stock wrench like this:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/images/Img402.gif

or this:

http://www.jtrusty.com/img/shop/product/41b3bedccbf9c4d6f52f43a8a3c8b9c1.jpg

or will the DPMS wrench work on all Carbine stock nuts?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks all.

www.bravocompanyusa.com/images/Img402.gif

or this:

www.jtrusty.com/img/shop/product/41b3bedccbf9c4d6f52f43a8a3c8b9c1.jpg

IMHO, you wil want the wrench in the lower photo, the one that will engage more slots in the castle nut. The single tooth wrench will tear up that soft alluminum nut in no time.

In fact, if there is lock-tite on the threads on the carbine stock, most wrenches will tear up the nut unless you use some heat

My DPMS wrench chewed up the nut on my DPMS lower something awful.

efxguy
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks all.

or this:

Get both, if you plan on building.  You never know which nut you will have and each is the proper tool for each nut and neither is good for the other style nut.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks all.

or this:

Get both, if you plan on building.  You never know which nut you will have and each is the proper tool for each nut and neither is good for the other style nut.

Do you think the DPMS wrench will eliminate the need for the top Carbine spanner wrench?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:46:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Double tap...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#9]
yes, you do not need the spanner wrench of you have the DPMS wrench
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
yes, you do not need the spanner wrench of you have the DPMS wrench

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:16:41 PM EDT
[#11]
i have found that in some angles in which the spanner part of the dpms tool it wont allow proper torquing and teh seperate spanner wrench would make the job easier and do it better.

i have broken the pegs off of my dpms tool on my last build.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:09:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Are holes in the barrel nuts a standard pattern, I have an Armalit FF barrel nut to install and want to make sure what wrenches would be compatible. I seen the Oly wrenches recommended too, are they about the same as DMPS.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:38:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I recently purchased the "New improved" DPMS wrench from Midway. This is the model that has the enamel-like, speckled coating. It's on the way back to Midway because one of the barrel nut protrusions broke off. As I was in the middle of my project when this happened, I located another wrench at a local gunshop. This was also a DPMS wrench, but the older type-without the coating. This older-style wrench performed very well and enebled me to finish my project. My thinking is that the barrel nut protusions or "teeth" on the new-improved wrench are weaker. In order to conform to spec,  the teeth on the new model must have slightly less metal thickness (as opposed to the older model) in order to to accomodate the additional thickness of the enamel coating.

Nonetheless, if you will be installing free-float forearms or doing any kind of barrel replacement, I would highly recommend, in addition to the aforementioned standard armorer's wrench,  a free-float wrench by Yankee Hill Manufacturing (YMH). Unlike the 2 barrel-nut teeth found on most armorer's wrenches, this model features 3 teeth, which will provide a much more secure fit and dramatically reduce the chances of damaging the barrel nut (something that did happen with the newer DPMS wrench).

Hope this helps.

Greg
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:01:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i have found that in some angles in which the spanner part of the dpms tool it wont allow proper torquing and teh seperate spanner wrench would make the job easier and do it better.

i have broken the pegs off of my dpms tool on my last build.

The DPMS wench is crap IMO. First I sheared the CAR pin off, busted my nuckles on the work bench. Then rounded a few teeth on my new CMMG barrel.

Yes I was pissed. I have done all kinds of comparisons with several wrenches that would fit my needs as a loser home builder and thought I made the best decesion...I was wrong.

First I paid  $39 for it then they put it on sale for $20 two days after it arrived. I emailed to ask for a price adjustment and was ignored. Oh well...sucks to be me.

Then I broke the wrench and screwed up my barrel nut I emailed them again. They did reply with send it back and we'll replace it. I declinded because I dont want another like it. Hell I wouldn't sell it on the EE because it is junk.

I bought the old school barrel tool for $15 and the CAR wrench for $5 and I am quite happy with them for my use.

When I get back to my work computer Tue. night I'll add the links to the variious vendors I comparison shopped with in the post.

In the mean time heres a link to the old DPMS wrench because my gut says the Gehy speckel finish on the new wrench is a problem also.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top