Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/19/2006 5:43:23 AM EDT
Is there a conversion kit? I guess the front handguard plate behind the FSB?
Will they fit on a regular 20" barrel?

Any (related) input is appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:08:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 6:12:27 AM EDT by eye_spy]
Yes. As far as I know....

Isn't everything standard? The size of the caps, delta ring etc....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:15:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/19/2006 6:16:59 AM EDT by RRA-A2]
Yes.

If you have an HBAR, then you'll have to cut away some material at the very front of the handguards where go around the bbl.

I used a dremel w/ a cut-off wheel. Cut a little bit at a time until they fit around the bbl.

It's easy, took me five min. on mine. Then after shooting w/ them I found I liked the round ones better.
They do look cool though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:56:26 PM EDT
The front cap on rifles is triangular, fit both the old A1 triangular handguards AND the A2 round handguards.

Also, for the A1, there was a left side and right side handguard. The A2 was made so that not only did the handguards retrofit the older A1, but there was no top or bottom, both pieces were identical, and the tangs and grooves fit either way.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:09:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RRA-A2:
Yes.

If you have an HBAR, then you'll have to cut away some material at the very front of the handguards where go around the bbl.

I used a dremel w/ a cut-off wheel. Cut a little bit at a time until they fit around the bbl.

It's easy, took me five min. on mine. Then after shooting w/ them I found I liked the round ones better.
They do look cool though.

so are yo saying that the A1 handguards will only fit without alteration on a Government or pencil profile barrel?
I ask b/c i am anout to order an upper from Del-ton with the intent of building a close clone of the A1, for my wife. and i also have an A1 furniture set on the way from Northridge (note on them below) and so would like to know what is in store for me in trying to make everything fit.

As for Northridge not pleased with them, placed the order on the 8th, expecting that the order will be noted and placed the system on the 9th (8th being a sunday), and that at the very least i should be seeing an e-mail from them on order progress or whatever. 19th after no word for 11 days i called em up to make sure everyting was alright (crap happens), lady on the other end checks the order and then says "oh yes you made this order at this time, we're a little behind right now, we shut down for two weeks and we're just starting to catch up". this is btw is NOT what pissed me off what got to me was the fact that there was NO indication on their site that they had shut the shipping and on-line order Depts down for two weeks and that there would be the natural delay in orders.

i guess all i am saying is that it would have been nice to see a notice of the holiday shutdown or receive an e-mail regarding the delay in order shipment. because it's kinda frustrating to find out that you've been waiting on the Big Brown Truck for no reason since the stuff was still on a shelf in California.

sorry needed to vent.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:51:23 AM EDT

IME, specifically a Bushmaster HBAR, the older M16 handguards fit WITHOUT modification. BUT, they WILL rub a small area of finish from the barrel where the liner touches near the front. A non-issue as far as I was concerned.

Paladin
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:00:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By detritus:

As for Northridge not pleased with them, placed the order on the 8th, expecting that the order will be noted and placed the system on the 9th (8th being a sunday), and that at the very least i should be seeing an e-mail from them on order progress or whatever. .

Just picked myself up off the floor after laughing myself off the chair.

You are obviously a babe in the woods when it comes to Northridge, and probably also SARCO; the Northridge of the East coast.

THEY NEVER ACKNOWLEDGE AN ORDER! And they ship when they they get damn good and ready, which might be 10 days or 10 weeks. The "We were closed" line may well have been BS, since they don't ship at all all quickly.

Which is precisely why I will buy nothing from either of these outfits, if I can possibly find it somewhere else.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:54:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PALADIN-hgwt:

IME, specifically a Bushmaster HBAR, the older M16 handguards fit WITHOUT modification. BUT, they WILL rub a small area of finish from the barrel where the liner touches near the front. A non-issue as far as I was concerned.

Paladin

Yeah just try to fit them on. If they fit, they fit. If not, whip out the dremel.

Sounds like not all HBARS have the same dimensions. Mine is RRA (wilson), and I had to dremel the plastic. YMMV.

Like I said before, it's no big deal to make them fit if they don't at first.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:56:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By shamayim:

Originally Posted By detritus:

As for Northridge not pleased with them, placed the order on the 8th, expecting that the order will be noted and placed the system on the 9th (8th being a sunday), and that at the very least i should be seeing an e-mail from them on order progress or whatever. .

Just picked myself up off the floor after laughing myself off the chair.

You are obviously a babe in the woods when it comes to Northridge, and probably also SARCO; the Northridge of the East coast.

THEY NEVER ACKNOWLEDGE AN ORDER! And they ship when they they get damn good and ready, which might be 10 days or 10 weeks. The "We were closed" line may well have been BS, since they don't ship at all all quickly.

Which is precisely why I will buy nothing from either of these outfits, if I can possibly find it somewhere else.

i would not have used them but i could not find anyone else selling a complete A1 furniture set, the fit the following reqirements,

A. price set by a fairly honest human being, not a monkey on crack

B. have the trapdoor A1 buttstock in stock

C. NOT FULTON (i will not knowingly give fulton an dimeof my money)

if i could have found a stock set elsewhere (would have preferred at one of the Houston gun shows) i wouldn't have this problem, in fact in other circumstances i'd have settles for buying the A1 bits piece meal as i found them. but this rifle is a gift for someone else.
Top Top