Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2006 4:35:43 PM EDT
good evening group..

i got a really newbie question on bolt carrier groups and uppers...

I see alot of uppers for sale on this forum without the bolt, bolt carrier and charging handle

SO..realizing that, and reading on the stickies how a barrel sets back and headspace and all that...

on a factory built upper, is it really as simple (as I perceive) as 'dropping in' a new bolt carrier group and charging handle from a reputable brand and head to the range?

i've looked at a few uppers and kind of held off due to not having a B or BC and CH...

slap a newbie but any help appreciated...

Ken B
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming all parts are correctly dimensioned, headspace on the AR is controlled by the relationship of the barrel to the barrel extension, not by the bolt.  You can drop any bolt, carrier, & charging handle into any upper & it should work.  That said, on my rifles, I check headspace with the proper gauges just to be sure that everything fits properly.  But if your rifle fails headspace tests, you will, in all likelyhood, need a new barrel, not a new bolt.
--JJK
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Assuming all parts are correctly dimensioned, headspace on the AR is controlled by the relationship of the barrel to the barrel extension, not by the bolt.  You can drop any bolt, carrier, & charging handle into any upper & it should work.  That said, on my rifles, I check headspace with the proper gauges just to be sure that everything fits properly.  But if your rifle fails headspace tests, you will, in all likelyhood, need a new barrel, not a new bolt.
--JJK

True if the parts are new.  Used, might be alright as long as you check headspace.  Heck, I check the headspace on new stuff, just so I don't have to worry.  

Weazer
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
i appreciate the responses.

i'm looking at a few uppers that are all factory assembled from reputable brands (RRA, Bushie) and withotu the CH, B, and BC, all with less than 500 rounds.

this gives me something to go on. I already have go/no go gauges in .223 so I'll look at that alot closer.

thanks very much

KEN B
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:37:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
True if the parts are new.  Used, might be alright as long as you check headspace.  Heck, I check the headspace on new stuff, just so I don't have to worry.  

Weazer

And have you EVER had a "used" one close and lock so easily on a FIELD gauge, to the point that it would not be safe to fire?  I am betting not.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:41:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i appreciate the responses.

i'm looking at a few uppers that are all factory assembled from reputable brands (RRA, Bushie) and withotu the CH, B, and BC, all with less than 500 rounds.

this gives me something to go on. I already have go/no go gauges in .223 so I'll look at that alot closer.

thanks very much

KEN B

Any bolt will do.... as long as it isnt worn down to the nub.  SAAMI .223 GO/NOGO gauges wont tell you much.... as most NATO spec chambers (5.56) will swallow a NOGO gauge.  The FEILD gauge is the largest of the three.... and I would have no problem shooting an AR that locks on a FIELD gauge.... unless I could hear it rattling in the locked chamber.  

That being said.... I would just buy a decent bolt and go shooting.  Look at your *brass*.  Is the shoulder blown out?  Are the primers moving/coming loose?  Is there visible signs of the case head stretching?   Nope.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:32:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Weazer

And have you EVER had a "used" one close and lock so easily on a FIELD gauge, to the point that it would not be safe to fire?  I am betting not.

To be honest, NO.  But, I sleep alot better a night.  Every upper I touch gets checked, am I being anal, YES!  I just don't have to worry about it.   Most used bolt are fine, I never said they would not be.  I just have a policy of checking them.

Weazer
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:35:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To be honest, NO.  But, I sleep alot better a night.  Every upper I touch gets checked, am I being anal, YES!  I just don't have to worry about it.   Most used bolt are fine, I never said they would not be.  I just have a policy of checking them.
Weazer

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that.    

The old term, "better safe than sorry" comes to mind.

I just never hear about the "sorry" part, and I always inspect my brass, so I dont worry with it.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top