Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/12/2006 10:44:14 PM EDT
Just waiting on stripped lowers to get here and I will begin my first build. I have several "store-bought" AR's that I have tinkered with and have decided that I am ready to start doing some of my own assembling. I have watched and re-watched the Bushmaster video and read and re-read the great tacked guides in this forum. I believe I am ready. I will be using a factory built upper for this one.

So, any advice from experienced do-it-yourselfers before I begin? Any common pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks to all for the information I have gained from this site that has helped me to take my BRD to the next level...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782--this is all you need

no worries on the lower -- piece of cake

you can CLP some of the holes/parts before you try to tack em in--it might make em slide in easier

if you worry about the finish, remember to use tape to cover the surronding areas that you will hammer on
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:32:49 AM EDT
[#2]
+ 1 on the tacked thread

The only ones I could think of for now are to support the back of the receiver when installing your rear trigger guard pin.

Use a clear plastic bag to catch flying detent pin of the pivot push pins (if you are using that type).

Have spare small detent pins and springs just in case you loose one.

Make sure you install your hammer spring correctly, not backwards.

Good luck on your build.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the advice, guys! Think I have these things covered. Have lots of spares of the little parts and I just got my 3/4" no-mar mallet from Brownells, brass head on one side for roll pin punches and plastic on the other for metal contact. Should that be good to go? The only concern I have is marking the receiver when doing the bolt catch roll pin, as I have had that happen in the past doing a repair. Just a tiny little mark on a carbine that gets used so I wasn't too worried about it, but I don't want that on the lower I build for my Stag LTD upper. I've seen the suggestion to use some masking tape on the receiver, but I wonder how effective that will be. Is there some super-duper industrial masking tape that I should look for?

ETA: Just got my UPS notification! The lowers should be in on Tuesday!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, it's called electrical tape.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:55:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Invest in a good punch set from Brownells.  I buggered up a few lowers before I figured out that I need the roll pin starter punches and the regular roll pin punches.  I might be all thumbs but it made life a lot easier.

I've never regretted buying a god tool.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Invest in a good punch set from Brownells.  I buggered up a few lowers before I figured out that I need the roll pin starter punches and the regular roll pin punches.  I might be all thumbs but it made life a lot easier.

I've never regretted buying a god tool.

Yeah, I ordered punches when I ordered the mallet!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I did it!

Its all together and looks great. Even passed all of the function checks...

Just gotta get it zeroed tomorrow and I'm done.

Thanks everyone.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top