Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/9/2006 3:35:16 PM EDT
I mean this puppy is stuck, the last time I had one stuck like this I just left it in the FSB now chopped down to a gas block and took the FSB and gas tube off together that isnt an option how do I get this sucker out have tried squeezing whith pliars and tapping on handle
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I mean this puppy is stuck, the last time I had one stuck like this I just left it in the FSB now chopped down to a gas block and took the FSB and gas tube off together that isnt an option how do I get this sucker out have tried squeezing whith pliars and tapping on handle

Take your upper forearm off, turn your rifle upside down and clamp the gas tube in a vice.  Don't worry about hurting it, it is almost impossibe, you may have some scarring on the outside, but that doesn't affect anything.  Pull, or tap your rifle from the rear.  Your gas tube will come out.  You might want to put something in between your barrel and gas tube to protect the finish on your rifle.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Follow the advice of terrydavis or buy one of these:

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/mbc-01.asp
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Try heat...  I bought a used upper recently and some stupid SOB used red loc-tite on the gas tube and after I heated that sucker it came right out...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I am new to the board and to AR's, and I won't second guess anyone elses info, but as a long time aerospace mechanic dealing with fifty year old warbirds I can say that nothing compares to Aerokroil penetrant for loosening up things that are stuck or corroded.  Good luck finding it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am new to the board and to AR's, and I won't second guess anyone elses info, but as a long time aerospace mechanic dealing with fifty year old warbirds I can say that nothing compares to Aerokroil penetrant for loosening up things that are stuck or corroded.  Good luck finding it.

Big +1! Use it in all sorts of things. You can actually buy it online, which is real cool.

http://www.kanolabs.com/

I found out about it from a friend of mine who does model trains(and guns).
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had a few stuck gas tubes.   heat didnt help,  kroil didnt help (maybe it did), clamping it in vise didnt work.   Banging with hammer, no good.

I found the key is to Twist the tube side to side to break it free,  i use a pair of channel locks to get a good grip on the tube.   In my case pulling it straight out was not an option,  i pounded and pounded on that thing and it woundnt budge,   but as soon as i twisted it i was able to wiggle it right out.

Twist it!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Is this the same stuff you're talking about?
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=137203

Ron
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take your upper forearm off, turn your rifle upside down and clamp the gas tube in a vice.  Don't worry about hurting it, it is almost impossibe, you may have some scarring on the outside, but that doesn't affect anything.  Pull, or tap your rifle from the rear.  Your gas tube will come out.  You might want to put something in between your barrel and gas tube to protect the finish on your rifle.

I did it today. no problem at all. the gas tube is sturdy
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Try as I may, it aint movin. Heat, pressure, clamp, wd40, chants, curses nor begging will make this come out.

Gonna cut that bitch out tomorrow and just install a new one, screw this.

Anyone have Gene Stoners email address? I would like to talk to him about this gas tube thing. I know it's a great rifle but, it drew first blood!! sumbitchingastubecrapispissinmeoff

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I made a simple tool at zero cost to remove stuck gas tubes without crushing or scratching them.

1. Spray with Kroil, WD-40, Remington Wonder Lube (my favorite) or some other penetrating oil.
2. While it's soaking, go find a small block of wood. About 1" square should work.
3. Drill a hole in the wood block slightly smaller than the diameter of the gas tube about 1/4" from the edge of the block.
4. Cut the wood block in half directly through the hole you drilled.  (You should now have two pieces of wood, a mirror image of each other)
5.  Place the wood blocks around the gas tube so the tube runs through the hole you cut in the block.
6.  Tighten together with a C-Clamp and wiggle back and forth while pulling back on the block/clamp.

Or if you have time and money to spend, order the Gas Tube Wrench from Bushmaster for $29.95.  It accomplishes the same thing.
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/mbc-01.asp

Good Luck!

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Try as I may, it aint movin. Heat, pressure, clamp, wd40, chants, curses nor begging will make this come out.

Anyone have Gene Stoners email address? I would like to talk to him about this gas tube thing. I know it's a great rifle but, it drew first blood!! sumbitchingastubecrapispissinmeoff

You should take the roll pin out first, it is much easier that way
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#12]
The one I was talking about is still in the cut down FSB,  I never did get it out said screw and took the whole assembly off.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:35:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I have seen some tight mothers, but never seen one that wouldnt come out.  You just gotta break the carbon buildup that deals it.  

Soaking *overnight* if you are going to use a penetrating oil.  Any less and that wont do much.

I just grab it with a pair of channel locks or vice grips near the FSB, while still on the rifle, and hit the pliers with a hammer, away from the FSB.  Never seen one that this wouldnt do.  I have scarred up a few, but never crushed one.  Gas tubes are cheap.... if you damage it removing it, who cares?

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#14]
The gas tube wrench from bushmasters works wonders!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You should take the roll pin out first, it is much easier that way

That gave me a giggle

My gunstore that carried all the parts and such has closed for burglary, the kicker is apparently he had no INSURANCE, dummass!!

Anyhow, gonna try that wood deal, who knows it may work. I'll surely keep y'all posted. Fixin to call ADCO to get a replacement in case I bend or break it... I'll get a Phantom FS as well to make it worth the shipping.

I'll finish this scotch and give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:20:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Tried the wood with hole trick after a day of sitting in WD40...
wet pine = no go, it got all mushy
dog chewed oak = no go, too slimey
unchewed dry oak = no go, just broke into pieces where the half hole was after several tries.

ADCO has  been called, replacement on the way.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Tried the wood with hole trick after a day of sitting in WD40...
wet pine = no go, it got all mushy
dog chewed oak = no go, too slimey
unchewed dry oak = no go, just broke into pieces where the half hole was after several tries.

ADCO has  been called, replacement on the way.

Time to upgrade your rifle, buy one of the quadrails or a flip up front sight and don't look back.  Or you could take it to a gunsmith, I hear they can work on AR's.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#19]
HA! I got it off!!

Well, after I got my new tube from ADCO (3 days from order to door ), I cut the old, stuck tube in half and started yankin on it. I'm tellin you I really wiggled and pulled on that thing and it simply was not coming out.

Think......

I got my mini vice grips and sinched down on the tube where I cut it, 90degrees to the gas tube.
Then I got some string from the booda that my dog just shredded, it was like meant to be, I'd say 30 strands of cotton thread 12"OAL.

I wrapped the stirngs around the carry handle then aroung the 90 deg. vice grips and tied a knot in it. I got a sharpie and did the ol tournequet twist.

done deal.

whew!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top