Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 7:09:03 AM EDT
I have a question about the Caliber of the rifles that I am looking for, I would like to look for the .223 or the 5.56 NATO model as I am researching for the lower receivers which I might get a STAG ARMS or RRA Product.  I see some lowers say Mult. What does it mean?

can I get a lower that says mulit and i will get an upper that  can go either way of .223 or NATO Type? Depending on the uppers that I might get? which is cheaper to get, since I am looking for something to go into the gun range and fire some powers.

If there is any suggestion that I should go, I am open to ideas, I am looking to get my budget within 650 bucks with I believe its possible with sales and patience. I already have a expensive hobby ( I got a second job because of all of my hobbies )  

If you guys can show me the stinky since I have been looking around and I am not so sure about it so hopefully you guys can answer me on this one today...

Cuz I am so itchy to build mine when I get my FFL paperwork done …

Thank
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#1]
It means nothing, the lowers are the same thing just with different codings on the side.  There is no reason why a standard lower won't work fine for you.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#2]
So you are saying that I can get a .223 Lower and get a nato 5.56 which is the same thing but little different.. ? or  the lower wouldnt matter until I get the upper, then the rest will follow wiht the barrel's type ?

I know it might be a dumb question but i wanna make sure before i do anything and all of that, I am looking for a STAG or RRA Lowers which i will get an upper from a kit..

Just wanna doublechck my logic first ...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#3]
There is NO difference between the lower marked ".223" and one marked "5.56"

In AR's the only difference is in the chamber dimensions.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#4]
can you explain that little bit more ...since i am trying to see what i should do ? if you say there is no difference, then i will just get a lower that has mulit, but chamber ?

i should be more careful on that purchase ? if so, can you guys give me an example if you dont mind ...

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#5]
The chamber of the barrel has to be 5.56 Nato in order to safely shoot 5.56 Nato ammo. A 5.56 chamber can safely shoot .223 Remington, but a rifle chambered in .223 Remington can't safely shoot 5.56 ammo.

The lower receiver has nothing to do with this and the text on the lower doesn't affect anything. The barrel is what makes the difference here.

The difference between "Multi.", ".223", and 5.56MM" marked lowers is the letters they stamped into it. There is no physical difference. Buy the lower that has the markings you like.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I got it now, so the lower receiver wouldnt matter until the upper is decided.

So Ii think I will go and try to get a NATO 5.56 for the upper  for now since i can use both type of .223 and 5.56 if i wanna go out and fire something and something cheap on that day when I buy the ammo. Thank you for being a such a quick help, I gotta say this fourms rocks better than others ...

I will be picking out my prices within a month from now...pending I get my lower from the FFL as it goes through... and hope to fire it before spring comes....

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:58:04 AM EDT
[#8]
the lower is just that a lower,

wether it is marked or not it has no major effect on what bullet is being used.

here is and example, these two lowers below are almost identical if the markings are covered up.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think I got it now, so the lower receiver wouldnt matter until the upper is decided.

No; THE LOWER DOESN'T MATTER, PERIOD!!!

Any AR 15 lower will work with any AR15 upper. The only "concern" that some folks have about upper/lower combos is whether the colors are a good match.  Beyond that, no markings or styles mean a damn thing.

Think maybe you've got it now???
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:27:47 PM EDT
[#10]
There is absolutly no legal ramifications, if you have a lower marked .223 and a upper with a 5.56mm barrel on it is perfectly OK in the eye of the law.

Marking lowers with different markings 5.56mm, 6.8SPC, Multi, .223, or 50 A&E means nothing.  It's a ploy by lower manufacturers to charge more for a special stamp.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top