User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/8/2006 11:05:36 AM EDT
UPDATE FINALLY!!!!!
remember this?

http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/2224/lower32bw.jpg

made from a 0% Les Baer Upper receiver and an old side lock barrel

I finally finished the design for my upper. I wanted to keep the look of an original AR15 upper so I did not want  to have the bolt handle sticking out the side. After a lot of head pounding I came up with the idea to have the bolt stick straight down through the bottom of the upper.

After some measuring I milled a L shaped opening in the lower and drilled and tapped holes for a steel plate for the bolt to lock against. The bolt seemed to lock up pretty good, so I tested it by popping a few primers with tissue taped over the ejection port. I got a black smudge on the paper but no holes! I already tested the barrel the old fasioned way with a double load of powder and bullets so I knew that part was ok, so on to full loads.

A friend offered to let me test fire it at his house (he also took the pics below) It was only 18 degrees that day so we did not shoot a lot and some of the pics are a little fuzzy. I loaded up a regular charge (90 grains Pyrodex 385 gr. Buffalo Bullet) and it shot just fine. After loading the powder and bullet I have to open the action to work the bolt and load the primer, but a muzzle loader is not a rapid fire weapon anyway.

I stuck camo bow tape on it and mounted and sighted in a 4X scope so I could hunt black powder season with it (the deer didn't cooperate) but I will put a final finish on it soon, and get some better pics of the action posted soon.

http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/84/cutout115nm.jpg

http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/3369/cutout122ep.jpg

http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/5333/cutout140tq.jpg

http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/8/cutout150ta.jpg

http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/8976/cutout164bo.jpg
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a pretty neat set-up. You might want to show it off to the folks in the Muzzleloading Forum here on AR-15.com.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, if you developed a crossbow upper, you could hunt all year long with an AR.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Damn, if you developed a crossbow upper, you could hunt all year long with an AR.

They make kits to fire arrows from a Ruger 10/22, so it's not as difficult as you might believe.

www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They make kits to fire arrows from a Ruger 10/22, so it's not as difficult as you might believe.

www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm

The phrase - "Now I've seen everything" comes to mind.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#5]
You gotta love the AR15 when you can move into the future with Piston operated uppers AND backwards with muzzle loaded uppers!!  

Nice job.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:15:21 PM EDT
[#6]
That's really nifty!  I wonder what the cyclic rate is.  

Edit:  Oooh!  That gives me a great idea -- a blackpowder underfolder AK to confound this bass-ackward commie state and its damn AWB!  Or a blackpowder SBR Uzi.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#7]
A PRK legal AR15 with a standard lower. Whoda thunk it...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Friend, there's a market to be had here... Great idea!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#10]
That is awesome!  Great work!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#11]
It is not authentic without brass inlays.

I double dog dare you to take that to a rondevous muzzleloading match.

I've meant to build the same thing for a while too.  Gotta finish that updated 351 self loading project first.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:19:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure Tony Rumore did something like this at least 5 years ago.
Hmmm, lemme see if I can find it.
Yep, here it is, 3/4 down this page:

Tromix Projects

When I first mentioned this build on another forum someone posted a link to Tony's site. It would be interesting to see how he made his rifle. My guess is he used a regular AR upper, carrier and a modified bolt. Figuring out the barrel extension and barrel nut setup would be interesting.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#14]
It was rather simple.  I just theaded a plug into the back of the barrel blank, drilled a hole in it, and screwed in a conventional nipple.  Then cut the back part to 1" so it would slide in to the correct distance for the hammer to hit the conventional cap.  Since the octagon part was larger then 1", the float tube nut would not fit over it.  So I installed the nut from the rear, then welded a flange around the barrel and machined it down with the nut trapped in front of the flange.  Then I inserted the barrel in the receveiver, tightened the nut and screwed the tube to it.

That was about 5 years ago.  No one ever bought the damn thing, so I parted it out.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:11:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey, thanks for the reply!  I guess my design would have been a lot easier if I stuck with the traditional nipple/#11 cap setup. I plan on shooting this a lot so I wanted the removable breech for easier cleaning.

The .458 SOCOM on your site really caught my interest, I'll have to start saving and scrounging. thanks again for the info. TOBG
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top