Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2006 7:23:05 PM EDT
So I just got my Del-Ton 16" M4 kit tonight, and the rear sight has some play in it. Is this normal? It feels spring loaded, but twists a little bit back and forth. Also, isn't there supposed to be a little plate to cover the hole in the buttplate of the stock? Sorry for the newb questions,

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#1]
If your talking about this plate:

Then yes.

The play in the Rear sight, if its side to side, while twisting it is normal.  As far as I can tell, all the A2 sights I've ever had had some rotation play to them.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#2]
The play in the sight is normal the spring tension keeps it consistantly in one position.

Is the buttstock collapsable, if so there is no plate ofer the extension tube hole.

If it is a regular stock then there should be a trapdoor on the buttplate so you can store stuff in the buttstock.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#3]
It's a telescoping stock, so that's cool. So that small amount of spring tension snaps the sight right back to where it was if it gets moved? It seems like it would be real easy to knock it out of adjustment...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's a telescoping stock, so that's cool. So that small amount of spring tension snaps the sight right back to where it was if it gets moved? It seems like it would be real easy to knock it out of adjustment...

Thats the way they do it.  You wont loose a zero, just shoot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool. Also, kinda off topic, but how much and where should I lube this thing? All I have right not is some cheap Wal-Mart gun oil that came in a cleaning kit. It feels dry when I pull the charging handle, and I want it to be nice and smooth when I shoot it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:10:01 PM EDT
[#6]
It will smooth out as you shoot it more.

As far as lube, put a couple drops on where the bolt carrier rides on the rails in the upper receiver.  A couple drops on the bolt and maybe one or two drops on the charging handle.  That should be good.

Remember that excessive lube attracts dirt and eventually will gum things up.

WalMart lube or CLP, it all works the same.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:29:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok. I have another problem. The rear sight doesn't line up squarely with the back of the carry handle. I can tweak it so it does, but then it just moves back when I let go.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, if I thread it all the way up, the topmost thread faces forward. Does that mean my brand new rear sight is screwed up??
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:28:25 AM EDT
[#10]
The rear sight will most likely be a little tilted to one side and held there with the spring tension.  I'm no expert but pretty much every AR sight I've seen is this way.  It will not affect accuracy at all.  Go out and shoot a few hundred round through it and you'll be convenced.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top