Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2006 6:46:06 PM EDT
Can you take a standard CAR and turn it into a midlength or do you have to purchase a new upper?
I know RRA makes them but I have a 16 inch CAR 15 upper and would like a middlength instead because of an increased sight radious and the abillity to mount a bayo.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#1]
A mid length barrel has the gas port and the front base farther forward as compared to a CAR barrel.  If you moved the gas port forward on your barrel you would have a problem with the old gas port.  You can purchase a mid length barrel to replace the CAR barrel & use your current upper receiver.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:59:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Can you take a standard CAR and turn it into a midlength or do you have to purchase a new upper?
I know RRA makes them but I have a 16 inch CAR 15 upper and would like a middlength instead because of an increased sight radious and the abillity to mount a bayo.

I think you will need a new barrel, FSB, gas tube and handguards at minimum, which in my opinion basically means you are better off to keep your CAR upper as-is (or sell it) and buy a complete mid-length upper assembly.

I've been wanting to get a mid-length kit for my next build for the same reasons you state (longer sight radius and bayonet mounting) plus the theory that the longer gas action leads to more reliable function, but the recent price increases have been pushing me towards the basic CAR instead.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the Adco midlength by RRA is really tempting me. I am kicking myself for not just getting that on my last build.

I shouldnt take full credit for a "build". I bought a complete upper from Model 1 sales (chrome lined bore and chamber 16 inch CAR) and a complete DPMS lower with a collapsable M4 stock.I am very happy with my buy but I just want that midlength. I shouldnt take the credit for a build that I did by mating the two halves, lol. Wow I learnt that much in basic training.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
You would need a mid-length barrel, mid-length gas tube, and mid-length handguards to completely swap to a mid-length configuration.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Midlength is nice but will basically require replacing everything forward of the upper receiver.  If you don't have the tools, it may be better to sell the CAR upper and put the money toward a complete midlength upper.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you will need a new barrel, FSB, gas tube and handguards at minimum, which in my opinion basically means you are better off to keep your CAR upper as-is (or sell it) and buy a complete mid-length upper assembly.

I've been wanting to get a mid-length kit for my next build for the same reasons you state (longer sight radius and bayonet mounting) plus the theory that the longer gas action leads to more reliable function, but the recent price increases have been pushing me towards the basic CAR instead.

I know.  What's the deal with that?  Quite a few companies have jacked the prices in just a couple weeks time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Midlength is nice but will basically require replacing everything forward of the upper receiver.  If you don't have the tools, it may be better to sell the CAR upper and put the money toward a complete midlength upper.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know.  What's the deal with that?  Quite a few companies have jacked the prices in just a couple weeks time.

Probally to the supply and demand rule and them becoming more popular. Have you noticed how many companies are out of midlength items ie: complete rifles, complete uppers, and barrels.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#7]
So it looks like no uppers for me in awhile then.

What would you say a fair price for the CAR upper would be complete with bolt and upper?

Also is there a way to check the headspace on a bolt so you can be sure it is safe to interchange them. My armorer at my unit said most of the times you should be good if its milspec. I was told in basic however this was not the case. Dont want to loose my gun or life cause of a E4 fresh from armorer school.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Just saw that ADCO has the RRA complete chromelined no-ban A4 midlength uppers in stock again for $425. That is where I bought mine just before Xmas and before they ran out. At $425 they will go fast, get them while you can!!!

www.adcofirearms.com/rockriver/rrauppers.cfm?page=rra
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:44:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So it looks like no uppers for me in awhile then.

What would you say a fair price for the CAR upper would be complete with bolt and upper?

Also is there a way to check the headspace on a bolt so you can be sure it is safe to interchange them. My armorer at my unit said most of the times you should be good if its milspec. I was told in basic however this was not the case. Dont want to loose my gun or life cause of a E4 fresh from armorer school.

I'd say that $425 for a RRA midlength upper is a fair price.   Shoot, it's a fair price for any upper.  Most CAR uppers I've priced are coming up at around $420 to $440 with bolt, carrier, and chrome lined barrel.  If you were looking into midlength I'd jump all over the ADCO deal if I were you.  I'm almost half tempted to go for another

I would get a set of headspace gauges...cheap life insurance.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top