Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 6:28:47 PM EDT
I am looking at building a 16" CAR configuration...  I was originally planning to build a mid-length from an M&A kit since my first build on one of their kits has been a success, but since their dramatic price increases I am re-examining my options.  Both J&T and Del-Ton have good reputations so I am currently leaning towards J&T simply because they are $5 cheaper and because KY is just a bit closer than NC, shipping should be the same price or cheaper and as fast or faster.  Any reason I should change my mind?  I'm not looking for anything fancy...  just a basic 16" HBAR with collapsable stock and A2 style upper.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Both are good and have good reputations for quality and service. Its is a toss up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]
i gotten excelent service from del-ton, but have never dealt with J&T
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Del-ton is a great company.  Good products and good service.  I'm working on a 16" HBAR build for someone else (using Del-ton parts) and like what I see so far.

Before you give up on the idea of a midlength build, you may also check out Eaglefirearms.  They have some pretty good deals on RRA midlength uppers.  ADCO also has some good deals on RRA uppers.  They are a little more expensive than standard carbine kits (by $60 or so)  but they sure do shoot nice!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I won't buy from J&T on principle.

Was looking at their uppers for use in a pistol build, but that immediatly turned me off.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I ordered a M4 kit from JT just before Christmas, even called and made a change the next day and still received it 3 days after ordering. of course I'm next door in Ohio.  Nice kit, well packed.  I've had it out three times and its been a blast.  they were quick to call me regarding my change, suggested alternatives, and called back to confirm.  A real class outfit
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I ordered a M4 kit from JT just before Christmas, even called and made a change the next day and still received it 3 days after ordering. of course I'm next door in Ohio.  Nice kit, well packed.  I've had it out three times and its been a blast.  they were quick to call me regarding my change, suggested alternatives, and called back to confirm.  A real class outfit

Did the barrel in your M4 kit have the government profile under the handguards or was it the heavy barrel profile?  I've been thinking about ordering an upper from JT to complete my build, but I can't find any information about their barrel configurations.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/jswiger/JTdistro.jpg

Was looking at their uppers for use in a pistol build, but that immediatly turned me off.

Isn't that going to be basically the same story everywhere unless you are buying one with a pistol kit?  Most of the other companies say things like "NFA rules apply" on any uppers or barrels under 16".
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did the barrel in your M4 kit have the government profile under the handguards or was it the heavy barrel profile?  I've been thinking about ordering an upper from JT to complete my build, but I can't find any information about their barrel configurations.

J&T's Shotgun News ad says "your choice of heavy or light barrel and A2 or flat top upper"...  I'm planning on ordering an A2 upper with HBAR.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:43:36 PM EDT
[#9]
if your doing a m4 with the 1 in 7th twist go with del ton they have some nice stuff.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Both are great places to buy, but Delton will go out of their way to please you (read: making sure the box will arrive on a previously arranged time at the door, so the wife won't know you are spending money on one more gun... ;-)   )
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
if your doing a m4 with the 1 in 7th twist go with del ton they have some nice stuff.

I don't want to pay the $$$ for "M4", planning on the basic 16" CAR configuration, and I shoot mostly 55gr, so I prefer 1 in 9 twist.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Both are great places to buy, but Delton will go out of their way to please you (read: making sure the box will arrive on a previously arranged time at the door, so the wife won't know you are spending money on one more gun... ;-)   )

Good to know, but my wife is pretty much always home during the day (due to health problems she isn't able to work any more), so the only way I could avoid her knowing would be to have it shipped to my work, and they'd probably frown on that.  So I will have to bite the bullet on her knowing...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#13]
How are the quality on the uppers? I know J&T uses Shaw barrels, and Del-ton uses Wilson combat, but how are  the quality of the other parts, such as the gas tube, sights, bolt etc? What is the fit and finish of the entire package? i am very interested in these parts kit, because of the cost and postiive statements on some sites.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Del-Ton.

Tony and Cassandra are great folks and the service is impeccable.

Those are our Del-Ton triplets.

Tony built up our uppers.  They fine-tuned our order (Vltor stocks, etc.) and held everything until our Form 1 came through.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Del-ton for sure. They will give you a better LPK that is really smooth. J&T gave me a really cheap LPK and the safety is hard to switch. First build with Del-ton was great and J&T build was below standard because of cheap LPK and was missing a bolt catch detent so I had to wait 4 days to finish my build.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't that going to be basically the same story everywhere unless you are buying one with a pistol kit?  Most of the other companies say things like "NFA rules apply" on any uppers or barrels under 16".

NFA rules and refusing to sell to pistol owners are two different things. Requiring a form 4 or an FFL for a barrel under 16" is retarded.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:08:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NFA rules and refusing to sell to pistol owners are two different things. Requiring a form 4 or an FFL for a barrel under 16" is retarded.

everyone has that in there ads for to cover their ass, i personally have never had any problems nor heard of anyone having problems with purchasing short bbls. to use legally.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:35:37 AM EDT
[#18]
i've recieved great service from JTdistributing, the CAR-15 kit i got was complete, no missing parts. Customer service is top notch. the orig. kit i bought was the chrome moly, but after the chrome nazi's got to me i called JT. I mailed the upper back to them, and they swapped the barrels for me, they didn't have to do that, only 40 bucks used barrel fee, and the regular 50 dollar chrome lined upgrade. took about a week to get it done. Great service.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:37:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Del-ton, great prices. Best people you will deal with it and I paid for regular shipping, and it was at my door the next day!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#20]
J&T said the parts kits only have a 30-day warranty, so after than time period you are out of luck if something goes wrong. I quess I am going to look else where for a kit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I just completed 2 builds for friends of mine. One was a J&T M4 kit and the other was from Del-Ton.

Both orders had the same 'upgrades' which consisted of a chrome lined barrel and detachable carry handle.

J&T took a day or 2 longer to arrive, but it was earlier than they said it would be.

The J&T kit was $40 more than the del-ton. ($643 vs. $603 shipping included)

The parts kit on the del-ton might have been a little nicer than the J&T, but both went together w/o a problem.

The del-ton 4 position stock was not nearly as nice as the J&T. It is styled like the old 2 position fiberlite stock and is pretty wobbly IMO. This could be rectified by upgrading to the 6 pos. stock for $20 (cutting the overall savings to $20)

The receiver extension (buffer tube) was also nicer on the J&T kit. The del-ton extension had barely enough threads to get the receiver cap, and castle nut on and threaded into the receiver. I had to hold the detent spring down with a razor blade. Never had to do that before on any other build.

So, its pretty much a toss-up just be aware of the stock issue when ordering.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I ordered my delton kit on a saturday forgot an item and told them about it sunday and the kit was still here on tuesday.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I go to J&T everytime.  I have always gotten excellent service from them.  I reward excellent service with continued business, even if it costs a little more.  In fact I have large order to place with them to complete two build in the next month or so.

Have done two other builds with J&T hardware and both were excellent.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I love Del-Ton and Del-Ton loves me
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I have read on other sites that state  J&T, De-ton and etc kits use lower quailty small parts, sights, plastic fruniture, and upper receivers to make the kits more afforable.  If this is true why would anyone buy one of these kits? In the end one will have to replace  most of the parts when they wear out.

Added: Del-ton says there uppers are made by CMT and everything else is DPMS. I don't know about J&T. But I have not read anything negative on them either. It does sound that these two companies put together a decent alternative to complete rifles from the major manufactures. And you get to build it yourself.  But they still have a limited warranty.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:09:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I have read on other reviews that state from experience that J&T, De-ton and etc kits use lower quailty small parts, sights, plastic fruniture, and upper receivers to make the kits more afforable.  If this is true why would anyone buy one of these kits? In the end one will have to replace  most of the parts when they wear out.

Addes: Del-ton says there uppers are made by CMT and everything else is DPMS. I don't know about J&T. But I have not read anything negative on them either. It does sound that these two companies put together a decent alternative to complete rifles from the major manufactures. And you get to build it yourself.  But they still have a limited warranty.

I am beyond happy with my Del-Ton kit, it does not seem as if anything is low quality on it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I have read on other sites that state  J&T, De-ton and etc kits use lower quailty small parts, sights, plastic fruniture, and upper receivers to make the kits more afforable.  If this is true why would anyone buy one of these kits? In the end one will have to replace  most of the parts when they wear out.

Added: Del-ton says there uppers are made by CMT and everything else is DPMS. I don't know about J&T. But I have not read anything negative on them either. It does sound that these two companies put together a decent alternative to complete rifles from the major manufactures. And you get to build it yourself.  But they still have a limited warranty.

honestly, there isn't much difference between factory rifles and kits other than warranty. There are only a handful of people making uppers, lowers, and barrels. Even large companies like bushmaster and RRA are getting parts from multiple places and often times it is the same factory that supplies parts to del-ton or J&T. There are vendors that sell cheap chicom carry handles and things but if you are buying from a reputable dealer you shouldn't have any problems.

As far as warranty goes.... if, for instance, your front sight base is canted or the chrome is flaking off your barrel you are gonna know that in the first 30 days in all likelyhood. Not many people are going to have an warranty claim 2 or 3 years down the road.

JMHO
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I love Del-Ton and Del-Ton loves me

And roger, have built three Del-tons, they're smokin', various configurations...haven't used J&T though, so I won't cast aspersions on them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#29]

Two years ago I built using a J&T kit.  I was very pleased with their product, shipping, and service.

I intended to use them for my current build, but their website has put me off.  http://jtdistributing.com

The first three photographs of some kid on the front page total more than 3 megabytes.  I did not look at the other 5.  

The message "We hope to have the new and improved version of the website up and running shortly." has been there for more than 3 months.

If a business can't or won't pay a high school kid $200 to clean up their website, what are their internal operations like?

http://www.del-ton.com is far cleaner and user friendly.  They care more.  One way a business earns and retains customers is by caring about their appearance.

There must be some unspoken rule in the gun industry that to sell gun parts you must publish a hideously ugly website with clunky javascripts that lock up peoples' browsers, multi-megabyte graphics so loud and tacky they would make a hooker blush containing information that is never newer than three years old.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:55:30 AM EDT
[#30]
I agree its been way too long to have their website dowm. I just downloaded the catalog in PDF format and called em up.

I've found the firearms industry is very different than other online retailers. If I order something from amazon.com and it says its in stock, its in stock. That is not the case at all with firearms websites. 99% of the time I call and place my order so I can check stock on all the itmes I'm buying.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top