Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2006 8:57:45 AM EDT
I have a black park kit and no matter what my repark job is always grey.  I cant figute out how to make it black.  Anyone else have this problem.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:18:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a black park kit and no matter what my repark job is always grey.  I cant figute out how to make it black.  Anyone else have this problem.

What are you trying to parkerize your barrel?  It is my understanding that color can be greatly influenced by temperatures and the quality of the surface prep, although the latter by my guess would more affect the uniformity of color.  Was the part originally black?  If not maybe the steel you are trying to parkerize just won't ever get as dark as you want.

You should also thoroughly oil the part and let it sit that way for a while after parkerization.  I've found that a well oiled part will definitely appear darker than a dry one.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Well , it will never be "Black Hole"  Black.

Are you using a Park solution containing MANGANESE?
This will give the Darkest color.

Surface prep is everything in refinishing!
Do you use one of the metal prep products?
(simple degreasing and hot water is not good enough for Pro type results)

Keep in mind that "BlacK" is actually the ABSENCE of reflected light.
Therefore , a "rougher" matte surface will look Darker when finished.

Also , always use Fresh Park sol. on the Good Stuff

EDIT - Good Point about the AFTER PARK oiling!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#3]
a flash hider.  It was balck and I did all the prep and heated the park solution to the temp in the instructions.  I get a really nice coat, just gery not black.  I have tried 2 different f/h with the same results.  These were just to test my skills before doing a barrel or something expensive.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Im using black manganese park solution.  I got it from www.calvan.com
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#5]
There is a special acid 'bath' dipping solution that you need to buy from Brownells. This will make your parkerizing turn black. IIRC it costs $30.00 per gallon. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top