Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 9:33:26 AM EDT
I just bought a new buffer spring for my rifle, plus another spring for an upcoming carbine build.  When I got the two springs, I noticed the shorter of the two was identical in length to the one currently in my rifle.  Is this correct, that the shorter spring is for the rifle length action?  Or, as I fear, I've been running the wrong length spring in my action since I built it over 1200 rounds ago.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag.

Interesting.  I've never compared the two.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:59:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Would somebody mind measuring either a carbine or rifle length spring (or both) please?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Free length of Carbine spring 11.30" and
Free length of A2 spring 12.30"

Both new unused.

MN
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.  I can't believe I've been running the shorter spring all along.  I never noticed excessive or harsh recoil.  The only reason I decided to get a new spring was trouble shooting a failure to feed when closing the action off a fresh mag.  It seemed like the bolt wasn't overcoming the friction of the feed lips.  This only happened a total of five times in 1200 rounds though, so I wasn't sure.   I also noticed that when the gun got dirty at the end of a range session, it always seemed that the bolt was cycling slower.  I would bet that the reduced spring force was playing a role there as well.  

If you think I'm a complete idiot for running the wrong spring, here is how it happened:  I built up my lower from a stripped receiver.  When I bought my CavArms C1 stock from Quantico Arms, I also ordered the buffer, spring and tube.  They must have given me the wrong spring and I didn't catch it because I had nothing to compare it to.  Its amazing the gun has functioned as well as it has.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:11:51 AM EDT
[#5]
These things happen!  I hope your account doesn't get locked!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
These things happen!  I hope your account doesn't get locked!

Too late, I'll bet he is already gone.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:42:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't get it.  Are we saying idiots get banned?  I have a hard time believing that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't get it.  Are we saying idiots get banned?  I have a hard time believing that.

We're just breaking balls, Cousin!   Come on!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We're just breaking balls, Cousin!   Come on!!

I guess I should cancel that second account I just made.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:03:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Na, then markm would be banned!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top