Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2005 10:24:39 PM EDT
Ok so I am 19 and frustrated about not being able to own a handgun, so hey next best thing is an M4. I have hunted for many years, both deer and waterfowl, and this past christmas my money I receieved went towards a Ruger 10/22.  Well I just want something with a little more kick, don't get me wrong the trigger job and 25 round mag on the 22 makes it a blast to shoot, however it is still not a M4. Now so far I have decided to go with a Model 1 Sales kit which fallows:

1) CAR 16" Chrome bore and chamber
2) Green Stock and Grip
3) YHM 4 rail Free Float
4) Chrome Bolt Carrier
5) and 2 of their so called "GI surplus" 30 round mags

Now as far as the 16" chrome barrel and chamber are concerned, I know it is not a neccessity to have, however the break-in period on it is easier, and I can use it as a happy blaster. At first I thought I want the most accurate M4 as possible, but I quickly found out that fluting cannot be done on a chrome lined barrel, and that the chrome moly barrel requires a detailed break-in, along with the greater possiblity of rust and so forth (I need opinions on that). Why green you ask, because I think it gives the gun character (I don't need opinions on that). Now as far as the free float is concerned, It gives greater accuracy, and the YHM gives a better dissapation of heat, plus I will be able to mount a vertical grip. Now about the chrome bolt carrier, I researched this to no end and I still haven't come up with anything that says I need it, so what does it do extra?

Now to my real question, What Lower should I use? How much are they?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
alrighty, welcome to the site!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=223495--list of lowers

since its a build, i would get the cheapest forged spec lower out there--more likely a Stag or MEGA (~$89+FFL shipping/transfer charges (~$25 on average))

check the EE/Industry boards for some great dealers and deals on stripped AR lowers

although M1S would not be my first choice on an AR kit (JTD or del-ton would be mine as they are industry members and have more reputable CS and products--try a search), i would say that you have made some pretty sound choices

chrome bolt carriers dont provide any more benefits for the extra $$$s, i'd stick w/ the regular one

FF sounds good, or you could just replace the plastic HGs w/ a YHM 2 piece rails system...

chrome-lined bbls degrade accuracy, but since this is not going to be a target grade AR, i would opt for the CL bbl too (lots of overall benefits, and still accurate enough)

get 5.56 chambering www.ammo-oracle.com
USGI mags might be a tad cheaper in the EE
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:27:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:46:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Also, a Superior Arms lower from RB PRECISION on our Equipment Exchange.

(On my model) The quality is excellent, all parts fit flawlessly.  And you can have custom pic's etched in  for a small price I believe.

Shop around.

Also, I have an M1S upper with a ciener .22 conversion unit in it.  Mine is a heavy barrel, and non-chromed bolt, so I can't comment on that, though.

Also have shot 1000's of .223/5.56 through it, and it has never had a FTFire, or FTFeed, or FTE.

When I installed my YHM free float rail forgrip on there, I did break the upper reciever.   Make sure you do it correctly the first time, BUY AN ARMORERS BLOCK, its a 40$ investment that will save you the price of a new upper reciever.

And after all, then you have an excuse to buy more AR15's.  You have to use the tools.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ok so I am 19 and frustrated about not being able to own a handgun, so hey next best thing is an M4. I have hunted for many years, both deer and waterfowl, and this past christmas my money I receieved went towards a Ruger 10/22.  Well I just want something with a little more kick, don't get me wrong the trigger job and 25 round mag on the 22 makes it a blast to shoot, however it is still not a M4. Now so far I have decided to go with a Model 1 Sales kit which fallows:

1) CAR 16" Chrome bore and chamber
2) Green Stock and Grip
3) YHM 4 rail Free Float
4) Chrome Bolt Carrier
5) and 2 of their so called "GI surplus" 30 round mags

Now as far as the 16" chrome barrel and chamber are concerned, I know it is not a neccessity to have, however the break-in period on it is easier, and I can use it as a happy blaster. At first I thought I want the most accurate M4 as possible, but I quickly found out that fluting cannot be done on a chrome lined barrel, and that the chrome moly barrel requires a detailed break-in, along with the greater possiblity of rust and so forth (I need opinions on that). Why green you ask, because I think it gives the gun character (I don't need opinions on that). Now as far as the free float is concerned, It gives greater accuracy, and the YHM gives a better dissapation of heat, plus I will be able to mount a vertical grip. Now about the chrome bolt carrier, I researched this to no end and I still haven't come up with anything that says I need it, so what does it do extra?

Now to my real question, What Lower should I use? How much are they?

You wanted a M4 or a CAR?  Make sure you order the right thing.
www.44mag.com for CP mags, like $8.99 each!

ETA:.........and you said 2 magazines. You need at least a dozen!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top