Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/28/2005 10:24:39 PM EDT
Ok so I am 19 and frustrated about not being able to own a handgun, so hey next best thing is an M4. I have hunted for many years, both deer and waterfowl, and this past christmas my money I receieved went towards a Ruger 10/22. Well I just want something with a little more kick, don't get me wrong the trigger job and 25 round mag on the 22 makes it a blast to shoot, however it is still not a M4. Now so far I have decided to go with a Model 1 Sales kit which fallows:

1) CAR 16" Chrome bore and chamber
2) Green Stock and Grip
3) YHM 4 rail Free Float
4) Chrome Bolt Carrier
5) and 2 of their so called "GI surplus" 30 round mags

Now as far as the 16" chrome barrel and chamber are concerned, I know it is not a neccessity to have, however the break-in period on it is easier, and I can use it as a happy blaster. At first I thought I want the most accurate M4 as possible, but I quickly found out that fluting cannot be done on a chrome lined barrel, and that the chrome moly barrel requires a detailed break-in, along with the greater possiblity of rust and so forth (I need opinions on that). Why green you ask, because I think it gives the gun character (I don't need opinions on that). Now as far as the free float is concerned, It gives greater accuracy, and the YHM gives a better dissapation of heat, plus I will be able to mount a vertical grip. Now about the chrome bolt carrier, I researched this to no end and I still haven't come up with anything that says I need it, so what does it do extra?

Now to my real question, What Lower should I use? How much are they?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:50:44 PM EDT
alrighty, welcome to the site!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=223495--list of lowers

since its a build, i would get the cheapest forged spec lower out there--more likely a Stag or MEGA (~$89+FFL shipping/transfer charges (~$25 on average))

check the EE/Industry boards for some great dealers and deals on stripped AR lowers

although M1S would not be my first choice on an AR kit (JTD or del-ton would be mine as they are industry members and have more reputable CS and products--try a search), i would say that you have made some pretty sound choices

chrome bolt carriers dont provide any more benefits for the extra $$$s, i'd stick w/ the regular one

FF sounds good, or you could just replace the plastic HGs w/ a YHM 2 piece rails system...

chrome-lined bbls degrade accuracy, but since this is not going to be a target grade AR, i would opt for the CL bbl too (lots of overall benefits, and still accurate enough)

get 5.56 chambering www.ammo-oracle.com
USGI mags might be a tad cheaper in the EE
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:27:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:46:49 AM EDT
Also, a Superior Arms lower from RB PRECISION on our Equipment Exchange.

(On my model) The quality is excellent, all parts fit flawlessly. And you can have custom pic's etched in for a small price I believe.

Shop around.

Also, I have an M1S upper with a ciener .22 conversion unit in it. Mine is a heavy barrel, and non-chromed bolt, so I can't comment on that, though.

Also have shot 1000's of .223/5.56 through it, and it has never had a FTFire, or FTFeed, or FTE.

When I installed my YHM free float rail forgrip on there, I did break the upper reciever. Make sure you do it correctly the first time, BUY AN ARMORERS BLOCK, its a 40$ investment that will save you the price of a new upper reciever.

And after all, then you have an excuse to buy more AR15's. You have to use the tools.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:13:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 2:15:45 PM EDT by Real_estate_salesman]

Originally Posted By dkstang76:
Ok so I am 19 and frustrated about not being able to own a handgun, so hey next best thing is an M4. I have hunted for many years, both deer and waterfowl, and this past christmas my money I receieved went towards a Ruger 10/22. Well I just want something with a little more kick, don't get me wrong the trigger job and 25 round mag on the 22 makes it a blast to shoot, however it is still not a M4. Now so far I have decided to go with a Model 1 Sales kit which fallows:

1) CAR 16" Chrome bore and chamber
2) Green Stock and Grip
3) YHM 4 rail Free Float
4) Chrome Bolt Carrier
5) and 2 of their so called "GI surplus" 30 round mags

Now as far as the 16" chrome barrel and chamber are concerned, I know it is not a neccessity to have, however the break-in period on it is easier, and I can use it as a happy blaster. At first I thought I want the most accurate M4 as possible, but I quickly found out that fluting cannot be done on a chrome lined barrel, and that the chrome moly barrel requires a detailed break-in, along with the greater possiblity of rust and so forth (I need opinions on that). Why green you ask, because I think it gives the gun character (I don't need opinions on that). Now as far as the free float is concerned, It gives greater accuracy, and the YHM gives a better dissapation of heat, plus I will be able to mount a vertical grip. Now about the chrome bolt carrier, I researched this to no end and I still haven't come up with anything that says I need it, so what does it do extra?

Now to my real question, What Lower should I use? How much are they?

You wanted a M4 or a CAR? Make sure you order the right thing.
www.44mag.com for CP mags, like $8.99 each!

ETA:.........and you said 2 magazines. You need at least a dozen!
Top Top