Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 4:38:33 PM EDT
... so I broke the wrench for removing my buffer tube ... one: why the hell is this thing on so tight ? second: is there a "best" wrench for the task or did i miss something and need to do somehing else
to get this damn thing off ??
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
How? in the hell did you do that. What kind of a wrench did you use?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The lesser expensive one provided by a fella here when you purchase a stock ... I love the stock just want to get it on my gun.So how do I do this without resorting to a pipe wrench
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have an action block? Or some way of securing the lower reciver.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#4]
YES ...old mag filled with mortar for rigidity it's as hard as a solid piece of steel... I need to know about the wrench ... I think the RRA one that brownell's sells is in my near future.  But I want to know if there is a trick to this or did I just get a SHITE wrench ??
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#5]
the dpms multi tool or the like will work
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Ya you had a shite wrench. If it is a car buffer tube check and see if it has been staked. Look all the way around it. If it is then try to file in between the nut and the tube. But really you should just wait till you get a quality wrench. With a good wrench you can muscle it through. And good luck. Also when you buy the wrench might want to order another nut.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
if a collapsable tube then it might be staked but if its a std tube it might have loctite
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I have another nut so I'm all set there .. thank you both for the advice I'll be ordering the wrench in the next 10 mins or so. Does RRA Locktite that nut ?? do I need heat or should it just spin free ?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Your right ek. If it is a rifle tube with the possibility of loctite try some heat on it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I have done two of these recently (mine and my friend's rifle).  Had an RRA wrench and it was like it was superglued, but a little perserverence and it just "broke" loose!  Good luck to you, Evilrp!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#11]
if you have an extra nut ( which im gonna guess a castle nut) then mount the lower in the vice and use a punch or screwdriver and with the tip on the flats, hammer it loose.

make sure you are loosening and not tightning. looking at rear of rifle the nut should go counter-clockwise
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I broke a one tooth wrench on my first Car Buffer tube nut.  I finally got it off with a hammer and punch.
After the first wrench broke I ordered the 3 tooth wrench.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top