Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2005 3:11:24 PM EDT
And I can't seem to find it!

I've been putting some thought into building a lightweight 14.5" (with welded Vortex or Phantom flash suppressor) as a mid-length.

I can't seem to find any 14.5" (or 16" for that matter) lightweight barrels in the mid-length profile.

Any ideas, short of buying a barrel blank and having my gunsmith build the thing essentially from scratch?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I can't seem to find any 14.5" (or 16" for that matter) lightweight barrels in the mid-length profile.

Go to AR15 Barrels.com.  He can make you whatever you want.  I'm looking for a lightweight 16" barrel myself...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Groovy, He's a little out of my price range, however. I'll keep it under advisement.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:13:10 AM EDT
[#3]
any custom bbl. is going to cost money.

regardless if its from scratch or reprofiling a complete bbl.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:49:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Groovy, He's a little out of my price range, however. I'll keep it under advisement.

Just curious.....what are you hoping/expecting to spend on this barrel?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:38:03 AM EDT
[#5]
For now, it is a custom barrel.  So you either pay or wait.  It may come around, but for now I'd not bet on it.  The midlength gas system, in combo with the 14.5" length would probably put you in a nonstandard gas port/gas system configuration.  It could very likely be made to work, but who wants to insure that risk to complaining customers.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The midlength gas system, in combo with the 14.5" length would probably put you in a nonstandard gas port/gas system configuration.  It could very likely be made to work, but who wants to insure that risk to complaining customers.

I had the same question and according to Randall (AR15 Barrels.com) he said;
"I decided that it's not a good idea to cut the barrel back to 14.5" with a mid-length gas system.  We end up with less barrel out in front of the gas port than is good for reliability and function with a wide range of ammo."
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I was expecting to not spend more than 200 bucks on this barrel.

Given Orion's comment, however, it appears that a mid-length profile in 14.5" won't give me optimum performance with various ammunitions.

M&A has lightweight 16" carbine-profile barrels for $155, my local gunsmith can cut, thread and weld the barrel for a nominal fee.

Thanks for the info, guys. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was expecting to not spend more than 200 bucks on this barrel.

Given Orion's comment, however, it appears that a mid-length profile in 14.5" won't give me optimum performance with various ammunitions.

M&A has lightweight 16" carbine-profile barrels for $155, my local gunsmith can cut, thread and weld the barrel for a nominal fee.

Thanks for the info, guys. Much appreciated.

that would be your best bet.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:30:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:53:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I believe that when you asked me about this, we were talking about your 6.8 barrel.
5.56 is another animal.

Uh, I guess I should have mentioned that fact huh?

What is the width of the barrel by the gas port (.750)?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#12]
CMMG is making me one of these barrels right now.  Give them a call.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
CMMG is making me one of these barrels right now.  Give them a call.

+1 CMMG is making liteweight barrels in just about every gasport/fsb combo you can think of.

well not light weight but Im sure they can hool you up

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Randall, I'll run this idea past my gunsmith in the morning, Once I get a hard price on the work he'll be doing, I can then run some simple higher calculofragilistics on my Ultra-Brain 9000 Super Mini Micro Thinkmotron Desktop Personal Robo-Abacoid and see how much it'd cost for me to get the parts from M&A and having my gunsmith dick around with them vs. just buying the custom barrel from you.

Again, thanks for all the info, you've been lots of help!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top