Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2005 7:04:01 AM EDT
Is 35/39 foot pounds for the rifle buffer tube to tight or just right? It is the MIL-SPEC but it just sounds to tight to me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Just make it tight enough.  It isn't really a part that needs a torque wrench to dial in IMO.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I just make it tight then recheck after a range trip.Never had one loosen.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#3]
BTT.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Just has to be tight enough to keep the detent down and seat with the rear of the reciever.

Proper, by the book, tourqing is not necissary.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I tighten it down then stake it in place.

I've had 2 come loose and don't want it to happen again.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

WIZZO

That's for carbine collapsible stocks, I'm talking about rifle tube extensions.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WIZZO

That's for carbine collapsible stocks, I'm talking about rifle tube extensions.

Whoops, missed the rifle part.

In that case, I snug it up with the cut-out in the handle of the carbine stock wrench, and call it good.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
...carbine stocks only have to be torqued on at around 40 inch pounds which is a little less than 3 and a half foot pounds.

The torque spec for carbine stocks is 38/42 foot pounds.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...carbine stocks only have to be torqued on at around 40 inch pounds which is a little less than 3 and a half foot pounds.

Sorry, I got that torque spec from the tacked thread "Headspace, Torque values, and Barrel Break-in" by DoulbleFeed in this forum. I didn't know the info was wrong.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, I got that torque spec from the tacked thread "Headspace, Torque values, and Barrel Break-in" by DoulbleFeed in this forum. I didn't know the info was wrong.

I haven't seen the thread in question. Your thread just got me curious, so I went and looked it up in my manual from the armorer's class I attended. It definitely says foot pounds.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top