Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/20/2005 1:10:01 PM EDT
I was looking at one of these stocks on the internet and concidering getting one.

Does anyone know how to install one?
What tool would I need to get?

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't need any tools to install mine.  I took my old stock (a 4 position M4 Stock) off.  BE CAREFUL TO CATCH THE BUFFER RETAINING PIN AND SPRING OR YOU WILL BE LOOKING FOR THEM!!!

Just screw the M4 SOCOM on (make sure you have the locking collar on the stock before you start screwing the stock onto the lower) and just screw it onto the lower until the stock comes into contact with the buffer retainer/screw that you reinserted into the lower.  Eyeball adjust the stock so that it is straight.  Slide the locking collar up tight with lower and then lock it down with the screw.

It is really easy.  This was done by memory - Pay attention to the supplied instrucions.  I used teflon tape on the locking screw on the collar to keep it tight - didn't want to go loctite tight.  It took me about 10 mins from start to finish and I am a beginner!  You will be fine!  The SOCOM is a great stock!

Don
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#2]
+1, no special tools required other than a small amount of common sense and an allen wrench.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two and as said, anyone can install one.  You will have more trouble getting the old one off than putting the new one on.  Make sure that if you are going from an A1 or A2 stock that you get a CAR buffer and spring to use in the M4 SOCOM stock.
Also, so long as you are putting it on a 5.56 or 6.8 you are fine.  If you are putting it on a .458 SOCOM or .50 B you need to use the supplied parts to lock the stock in position or it will collapse on you and damage the locking cone, locking it tighter than a tick.  I ended up with a .458 SOCOM hanging off my face (bearded) and no way to get it off other than just yanking; can you say OUCH!  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:02:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Thanks for the info guys.

I think I will order me one tomorrow.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Question:

I just installed a ACE Socom and it seems that the buffer tube is still loose when screwed up to the buffer retaining detent. I tighted the allen screw and I shot the gun today and it worked fine, but there is a small amount of wiggle. Any idea on how to take up this wiggle?? Should I put teflon tape on the stock threads? Or is this play normal?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone with negative ace experience?

Team member spoke of his going tits up afer not very many rounds on two seperate ar's.screws had all kept coming loose and push button cam was gouging i guess. But his is the only complaint i've seen
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:03:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I am still waiting to see the answer to my play question but I would agree that I am experiencing the following:

push button cam was gouging i guess

The entire tube past the sleeve that is normally hidden while collapsed is totally scratched to hell to the point where I leave it collapsed for ascetics even though I need the longer length setting

It's a shame as its the only collapsible stock I like and I took a risk with the negative feedback I read on another thread here and see some of the gripes. It's still my favorite and I don't regret the purchase, I just wish mine didn't have all those scratches
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Back up there!!!

Should I try teflon tape to get rid of play or is there another way?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:32:22 PM EDT
[#12]
use lots of loc-tite and super glue
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I contacted ACE and they said teflon tape. I used some and it is rock solid now.

Problem solved :)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top