Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:37:11 PM EDT
Hi guys, been finalizing the details for my first build. I'm gonna do an RRA lower and Upper, with a 16'' barrel with a 12'' YHM or Larue free float tube. I want to use flip up sights, so I do not need a barrel with a front sight post. I see there are numerous types of barrels such as - CAR, M4, Midlength, etc. Which one would be best for my application? I also see most barrels are sold with front sight posts on them, so is the norm to just remove them? Thank you, Joe
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:41:48 PM EDT
You could buy one with the front site base, cut off the top of the site base, and get the midlength LaRue rail. That always looks sweet.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:05:46 PM EDT
Dace, when you say midlength Larue rail, what size is that, 9''? Do you have any pics handy? I was more set on a 12'' rail.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:24:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/19/2005 6:25:15 PM EDT by Dace]
Not my uppers, but these appear to be both 16 inch barrels. The barrel on the left has a midlength gas system and a midlength (9 inch) handguard on it. The barrel on the right has a midlength gas system and a rifle length (12 inch) handguard on it. As you can see both do not have front site bases. Only the gas block.

What I am talking about is having a 16 inch barrel with either a carbine gas system or a midlength gas system and having the midlength rail (such as on the left). But the rifle length rail is nice as well, just adds a lot more weight.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:42:51 PM EDT
Ok Dace, thanks for the clarification. I'm still leaning towards the 12'' rail. So when purchasing a barrel, do I want a CAR, midlength, or M4. What are the differences?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:45:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JoeS40:
Ok Dace, thanks for the clarification. I'm still leaning towards the 12'' rail. So when purchasing a barrel, do I want a CAR, midlength, or M4. What are the differences?

Well first you must think of length.

Length: 16 inch, 18 inch, or 20 inch.

Then you get inot profile for each different kind of length.

And you are asking a very big question that would take way to much time to answer right now. Do some searching and find what works for you. You should find a barrel you need THEN decide if you need/want a rail. Build around your barrel.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:46:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:10:58 PM EDT
Thanks guys. That helps. I'll continue researching.
Top Top