Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2005 10:31:28 AM EDT
Has any tried installing a shim on the forward face of the A2 sight assembly, right side, to remove the normal twist?  I've seen people have it drilled and a guiderod installed, but it seems like it would be simple to epoxy in a thin shim for the sight body to rest on.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an upper that the A2 sight base was sitting a little crooked. I took a tiny piece of soda can and epoxied it onto the upper where the crooked side of the sight base rests, doing this straightened up my rear sight. It only takes a very small piece of aluminum can, no one will ever see it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:09:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Any updates on this? I'm dealing with an A2 sight that's floating around and not holding zero. It seems that the spring & ball aren't putting enough pressure on the left side, so I'm considering some sort of shim on the right.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:01:05 AM EDT
[#3]
the rear sight assy should be held with the spring and ball detent.

if it isnt i would replace those two things with a similar spring from the hardware store or something.

i have never had a single problem with the rear sight being held with spring pressure
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:50:35 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, I disassembled, degreased, and relubed everything. Sight no longer "floats" but rather cants and consistently returns to proper position (same as it does on my other rifles). Must've been the 10-year-old factory grease--just pulled this upper out from the back of the safe for a new project. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Ugh, I've got it too, I think!

So, disassemble, clean, and re-assemble?  Mine's got a lot of force holding it twisted like that...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm pretty sure they all have that cant.  I just wanted to insert the shim to eliminate it. It doesn't have any effect on point of impact since the sight aperture is over the axis of the windage screw.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ugh, I've got it too, I think!

img516.imageshack.us/img516/2213/kinkedreara26cc.th.jpg

So, disassemble, clean, and re-assemble?  Mine's got a lot of force holding it twisted like that...

Probably not. After dissassembling mine, I've concluded that the twist is "working as designed" (take yours apart and you'll see what I mean). As long as it consistently returns to the same position after you twist it clockwise, you're golden. Mine was gummed up with grease so that it would not consistently do this, so I broke it down and now it's good.

One question though, the twist in the pic you posted looks pretty severe. Do you have the elevation cranked up high?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top