Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/15/2005 8:17:47 AM EDT
I'm thinking of doing a 9mm SBR build. I'm trying to figure out what the best approach to this is going to be. Someone told me I should build on a stripped lower and send off the form 1 with "multi-caliber" rating so I can switch to a .223 upper if desired.

I'm looking for a build that has about a 8 1/2" to 9" barrel length.

Would it be cheaper/easier to build an SBR from a 9mm carbine or from scratch?

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:59:48 AM EDT
From scratch.

Just remember that there are two types of Sub systems. Either it's a Oly or a Colt system, so buy the parts for that type of system.

P.S. you can pre-buy all the parts, but wait for the form-4 to come back before you start to building the upper.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:02:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/15/2005 5:53:10 PM EDT by SBR7_11]

Originally Posted By 89Saleen:
I'm thinking of doing a 9mm SBR build. I'm trying to figure out what the best approach to this is going to be. Someone told me I should build on a stripped lower --
Use any lower that has a serial number on it

and send off the form 1 with "multi-caliber" rating so I can switch to a .223 upper if desired.
Stick with what ever is roll marked on the lower (.223 or 5.56), top swapping and calibers is irrelavent... ATF been cracking down on people trying to not give precise answers to section 4 on the form-1.

I'm looking for a build that has about a 8 1/2" to 9" barrel length.
Custom barrel from blank is what you'll need to do, as most commercial barrels (RRA/ASA) are of a "Govt" profile under the handgaurd...

Would it be cheaper/easier to build an SBR from a 9mm carbine or from scratch?
That is for you to decide, mine is on an Oly lower I bought in Jan-1990, SBR in .223 for years, then added a custom barrel 9mm upper 2yr ago.

Any help would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:26:14 PM EDT

SBR in 225 for years

Special ammo, or did you just drill out the rifling to give the ammo a little extra help on tumbling???
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:54:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dano523:

SBR in 225 for years

Special ammo, or did you just drill out the rifling to give the ammo a little extra help on tumbling???

Failure to proof read my own material..... correct answer is .223
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:12:21 AM EDT
I've been doing mine the hard way. I bought a Colt 6450 and registered it on a Form 1. I'm now waiting for the suppressor and upper to complete the build.

It would've been cheaper to build from scratch, but as I'm still relatively new to AR's I wanted to build my SBR on a factory Colt 9mm lower. The 16" upper I can either sell or use in another build - or have it cut down, I guess.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:41:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macros73:
I've been doing mine the hard way. I bought a Colt 6450 and registered it on a Form 1. I'm now waiting for the suppressor and upper to complete the build.

It would've been cheaper to build from scratch, but as I'm still relatively new to AR's I wanted to build my SBR on a factory Colt 9mm lower. The 16" upper I can either sell or use in another build - or have it cut down, I guess.

i plan to sbr my 6450 as well.
Top Top