Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/8/2005 7:33:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/8/2005 8:21:58 PM EDT by AtlantaFireman]
White Oak Armament built this upper for another AR15.com member, and I was lucky enough to buy it. It has a WOA SPR barrel cut to 17.5" to get rid of the threads. The free float tube is a Briley. I have both a Briley and Clark: both work extremely well. I added a B&L 3200 10x40 mil dot scope and a RRA extended rail, also added NM FSB and Bushmaster carry handle (added NM rear sight). I am still working on a good load for Sierra 69 and 77 grain moly bullets with IMR-4895 or IMR-4064 powder. The lighter .223 pressure loads give horizontal stringing at 1 MOA: verticle stringing of 3/4 MOA. Loads need to be hotter to bring the group tighter. I have only taken it out once for target work, but it performed without error, even with the lightest loads. I just plan to shoot it at a 6" steel plate at 301 yards. I'd like to find north Georgia farmers or land owners with ground hog or other varmint problems. This upper sits on a Stag lower with RRA 2-stage trigger, that I tuned myself, and a Bushmaster A2 stock. I got the RRA rail on the EE too. The EE is a great place to shop; I'm glad its here. I'm hoping the weather gets a tad warmer for range work.

Edited to add:
The grip is a SPR grip made by Sierra (not the bullet company).

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:35:08 AM EDT
Very nice rifle. Looks like RRA is proud of their extended scope rail though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:52:28 AM EDT
They are so proud of it that I could not remove their pride.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 7:11:29 AM EDT
That is one good looking pig, it puts a smile on my face all the way over here, so I can imagine how happy you must be with it.

Let us know how she does at distance!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:55:00 AM EDT
Getting ready for my first build here and that is exact upper that I have in mind ( not interested in the front iorn sight dedicated to scope use.

Question is I assume that is a full length gas system?
Any functioning problems with the shorter barrel?
What is the weight of the rifle?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:40:47 AM EDT
Question is I assume that is a full length gas system?
Yes, it has a full length gas system.

Any functioning problems with the shorter barrel?
Zero malfunctions, even when using low pressured .223 SAAMI loads

What is the weight of the rifle?
Unknown; I never weighed it. The barrel weight is 41 ounces.

This is what WOA has to say.
"Special Purpose Rifle
White Oak Armament SPR Match Barrel
This SPR .223 barrel is the product of the Army's Squad Designated Marksman Rifle Development Program, which was assigned the task of improving the accuracy of the standard issue rifle against targets out to 600 meters. This would allow the valued marksman or sniper the ability to stay concealed within the squad by carrying a weapon that looked similar to the rest. It was found that by carrying a dissimilar rifle, he had become an easily recognizable high-priority target. We offer this barrel to the tactical user or casual shooter interested in the ability hit distant targets with issued or mag length ammunition.
· 18 Inch 1:7 twist Match Grade Stainless Steel barrel
· Chambered to give excellent performance and reliability with a wide variety of ammo
· Retains the same sight radius as a standard 20" barrel
· Light weight contour ( total weight of 41 ounces )
· Threaded muzzle to accept a flash hider or muzzle brake
Barrel Only: $258.00"
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:59:36 AM EDT
Nice looking rifle!

Do you know the weight on the Briley tube by any chance?
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:49:45 PM EDT
Weight of Briley free float tube? Unknown.

I called Briley months ago with the same question, and even they didn't know! hahaha My best guess is that it weighs less than a DPMS ventilated free float tube, and that weighs next to nothing...the Clark CF FF tube weighs even less than that...I mean I thought it was made of air!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:05:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AtlantaFireman:
Weight of Briley free float tube? Unknown.

I called Briley months ago with the same question, and even they didn't know! hahaha My best guess is that it weighs less than a DPMS ventilated free float tube, and that weighs next to nothing...the Clark CF FF tube weighs even less than that...I mean I thought it was made of air!

Yeah, my rifle length Clark tube was 6 oz.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 2:11:48 PM EDT
I want to say that the Briley is 8 ounces, but I cannot swear to that.

The Briley has a 2.3" diameter tube and thicker tube wall than the Clark. Clark measures 2" diameter...if memory serves me correctly.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:34:42 PM EDT
Good looking rig. I knew I should have bought that rifle.
Top Top