Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/26/2005 3:59:06 PM EDT
Is there one? Recessed side toward the FSB or away from it. Any pictures out there? Thanks

Edit: Nevermind should have archived under crush washer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#1]
hammer    

umm I think the bigger flat side goes towards the hider
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I dont think the crush washer knows which way it is being crushed from, it;s  a matter of looks. The crush washer was designed  by the AR manufactures to save time during assembly  by not having the armorers  spend a good part of their day peeling a peel washer. The only thing a crush washer does is put  stress into the muzzle area of the barrel, not a good thing. Spend a few minutes and use a peel washer, your barrel will thank you for it.     PATRIOT ARMORY CLASS 07 MANUFACTURER
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Timed my Phantom 5C2 myself yesterday. It timed with the first quarter turn but wasn't near tight enough so I removed some material off each side to allow for another full turn. Got her done perfectly but flat spotted my index finger on the sandpaper. OUCH!!! I assume it's alright to remove a little from each side right? I can't imagine how much torque it would have taken to crush it enough to make it all the way back around.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#4]
ok here comes the newbie question. what the heck is a "peel washer"? does it look any different to traditional crush washers?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I recently put a YHM Phantom Comp/Brake on my Stag upper and like you I also had to go 3/4 of the way around to time put correctly .... I just repeatedly tightened and loosened until I got there .. no problem. Recently shot a 0.9" 200yd group so accuracy is pretty decent.

Love that comp ..it plain works and looks evil doing it !         HH
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#6]
A peel washer looks similar to your average flat washer ,   but  is made up of layers of thiner material.  You use a razor blade to peel off layers to maker the washer thinner to get your fh/ mb to index. It can be a little tedious but IMHO it's the best way to go.       PATRIOT ARMORY CLASS 07 MANUFACTURER
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's a pic I use for showing folks what a Phantom FS looks like, I'm told this is backward...

My one rifle w/ a crush washer faces the other way.

Mike

ps - believe pa223 is right, don't think it matters
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#8]
So you are suppose to tighten the hell out of it, back it off, and tighten it back down repeatedly till it's squashed down to where you need it?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I just hand tightened it and then took a wrench and rotated it until the closed portion was on the bottom. The wrench flats are lined up vertically(I believe). I didn't crank it down. This setup was tested w/ 2 30 round mags and functioned perfectly. I don't think I crushed the washer at all, but there is no way you could remove it without using a wrench.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So you are suppose to tighten the hell out of it, back it off, and tighten it back down repeatedly till it's squashed down to where you need it?

No, take the FS hand tight, then use a wrench to Index the FS to the correct postion.  The crush washer mantaines the needed amount of pressure as it is being tightened. If you over index the FS, then you will need to start with a new Cruch washer.

P.S. Wilson has the Washer backwards, and the reason the edge is hanging over the barrel. Installed in the correct position leads to no hang overs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#11]
The tightening/looseneing method was recommended to me by a well know builder/seller on this forum. I followed those instructions and will do so again. I did not want to go nearly a complete revolution with that mush twisting force. It worked for me. The whole process seemed entirely too simple.  I used a double layer of cardboard around the barrel and clamped it in a bench vise at the FSB

HH
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I put mine on the couch and sat on it while wrenching with multiple layers of packing tape on the wrench protecting the FH. There was no way it was crushing the washer another full turn w/o putting some serious ass on it...that's why I removed some with good ol sandpaper. Maybe my crush washer was heat treated or something...HAHAHA.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, take the FS hand tight, then use a wrench to Index the FS to the correct postion.  The crush washer mantaines the needed amount of pressure as it is being tightened. If you over index the FS, then you will need to start with a new Cruch washer.

P.S. Wilson has the Washer backwards, and the reason the edge is hanging over the barrel. Installed in the correct position leads to no hang overs.

If at hand tight mine indexes at about 1:00, should I crank it around to TDC?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:24:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Get a torque wrench and torque the FH to 25 foot pounds. If it doesn't index, back it off and torque it again. Each time you do this the washer crushes a little more and you end up with the minimum amount of torque applied to the muzzle of the weapon. If it is a few degrees away from indexing, up the torque value one foot pound at a time until it indexes. I wouldn't go over 30 foot pounds. My 5C2 indexed at 26 pounds the second time around on a colt barrel.

Has anyone used the peel washers from brownells? I ordered some in case the crush washer supplied with the phantom didn't work out. Mine look like they are just made of two layers while all the ones on real M16s i've seen look like they are made of about 25 layers.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top