Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2003 11:43:56 PM EDT
New to the site.  Looking to build another AR15 and need some input.  I previously built an AR and since fired 1000's of rounds thru it and also am a certified armorer thru the AR15/ M16 Colt courses offered to law enforcement agencies.  I was wanting to built a very lightweight CAR type and saw uppers and lowers made by Vulcan Arms.  As I understand the receivers are made with some sort of space age plastic.  Does anyone know anything about Vulcan Arms or if there receivers are to good to be true?  I see they have complete Ar's in the $600-$700 price range, but seems too many custom features for that cost, which leads me to beleive the product is substandard.  Any input appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Vulcan Arms was Hesse IIRC, and Hesse makes garbage.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:31:22 AM EDT
[#2]
In my humble opinion...I really don't think you will save all that much weight by making a plasitc gun...Yes, the Carbon 15 is around 4.5 pounds....but a "normal construction" AR with a light weight bbl..say a Bushmaster super lite..and an ACE stock...weighs in around 5 pounds....not to mention...plastic guns feel like you bought them at Toys R Us...
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Cavalry Arms lower and am very happy with it.  Check out

[url]http://www.cavalryarms.com/[/url]

[url]http://www.cavalryarms.com/rifles.html[/url]

Also they have a section in the Industry area of this board.

This lower is made in one piece with the grip and stock.  This contributes to the strength of the product.  The plastic is very good.  Their handguards, made from the same plastic, resists heat better than the milspec plastic.  They have a picture of blasting away with Beta C mags and melting the gas tube, but not hurting the handguards, which had no heat shields installed.  They do install heat shields on their handguards for sale.

These lowers (and they make all AR15/M16 furniture) come in various colors, too, black, OD, gray, brown, and some bright colors, blue, yellow, orange, purple.  Check them out.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top