Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/17/2003 6:17:09 PM EDT
I need to know if there are any companies besides jtdistributing that has chrome lining as a option with their kits.Also is the chrome lining really a big deal?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Chrome lining is for guys who are too lazy too clean their barrels at regular intervals, dislike rust and corrosion in their bores and chambers, and don't plan on taking thier gun to a highpower shooting match.

All my guns have chrome lining and 5.56 chambers. For the minor difference in price ($30?), it was worth it for "me".

I can't recall anyone ever actually proving that a quality modern chrome lined barrel was less accurate than a non chrome lined barrel of equal quality.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I can't recall anyone ever actually proving that a quality modern chrome lined barrel was less accurate than a non chrome lined barrel of equal quality.
View Quote

None of the high end national match guys use chrome bore/chamber...  All use SS barrels.

Does it make a difference, Yes.  The question is, How much?
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

None of the high end national match guys use chrome bore/chamber...  All use SS barrels.

View Quote

You are correct, Mark.

But I was really meaning chrome-moly vs. Chrome-lined chrome-moly. I probably shouldn't of used the "highpower shooting match" in my above post.

It would be interesting to have several equal quality SS or chrome-moly match barrels, some chrome lined and some not. And then get a real small dial caliper and measure the difference in accuracy with the best load.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very true - but when you get up to the level of being a "high end national match guy" you start doing things like using obscenely expensive custom barrels, handloading your own ammo by trickling powder to less than a tenth of a grain under 69 gr. moly coated bullets seated just a few thousandths of an inch off the rifling for that particular barrel, and stuff like how your glove fits and in what order you tighten the straps on your shooting jacket make real differences in your score.  In that rarified atmosphere, I'm sure a case could be made for changes in group size whether you're wearing your underwear with the label facing in or out.  [:P]

Chrome-lined barrels, OTOH, function well with a wide variety of cheap and surplus ammo, and are still accurate enough that with my Colt-barreled M4gery I can hit the serving-tray-sized gong off-hand at 600 yards with iron sights 6 out of 10 times.

So my advice is - unless you have at least one of everything in the [url=http://www.creedmoorsports.com/]Creedmore Catalog[/url], stick with chrome.  [:D]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top