Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/15/2003 5:29:19 PM EDT
Plese someone explain what the rules are for purchasing a preban lower. Can you build it into a preban rifle?? Preban uppers. If that is not the case how are you able to buy a preban and change out uppers and still comply. Is this a grey area or am I ignorant. Don't answer that. Our legal section on this site explains that if you buy a kit and do not put it together prior to 1994 that it can not become a preban because it was not manufactured prior to 1994. But if you buy a preban and change out uppers and stay preban then when you sell it there is no way to verify the #s........ Can you buy a preban lower and make a preban?/

HELP!!!!!!

Hank
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:15:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 4:02:01 AM EDT
Ok that was my understanding. But according to the Gun Control Law of 1968 it states that the lower is the "gun" becausein contains all of the parts necessary to fire the weapon. So wouldn't having the ser#s for the lower prove that the gun was manufactured prior to 1994?? Thanx again for the info, Hank
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 2:17:54 PM EDT
Read the reply from Aimless again. The SN will show when the reciever was manufactured, but not necessarily prove that it was assembled as a working firearm before the qualifying date. And THAT is the qualifier for a pre ban, not just the date of manufacture of the reciever.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:09:50 AM EDT
Thanx, So why would someone want to buy a preban lower if you cannot build it to a preban complete weapon?? Hank
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:26:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FF145: Thanx, So why would someone want to buy a preban lower if you cannot build it to a preban complete weapon?? Hank
View Quote
Well, I'll say it.... because as long as it is pre ban to them, they'll build it to pre ban specs and say they bought the rifle that way (completed)- even though it is illegal. This probably would apply to private sale lower as "stripped" papered lowers would leave a paper trail. The person building it takes the risk..... as they have to prove when it was built. There, I said it..... (GASP). I think the BATF made that "ruling" that the stripped lower had to be assembled by the certain date. Don't quote me. The law doesn't say specifically...I think. There are a lot of "rulings" they do. I am not condoning breaking the law, but I am speculating on why people would want a stripped pre ban lower. Actually, I have seen ads saying that a "stripped" preban lower was once assembled into a complete rifle before the ban, but the owner stripped it for parts....
Top Top