Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/11/2003 10:28:16 AM EDT
Ok I did a search and came up with nothing. Can anyone who owns or used one share your experinces? I am looking to do light mill work i.e. mill the back of a .45 slide for Bo mar sights is about the most involved thing I would want to do.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:22:30 AM EDT
I've been researching this myself, for gunsmithing. Look at [url]www.homeshopmachinist.net[/url] [url]www.geocities.com.kemays/workshop/machineshop.htm[/url] [url]www.roderuscustom.tzo.com/home.htm[/url] [url]www.littlemachineshop.com/[/url] What I (think I) learned: In short, the $500 minimills seem to work for some people. The problem is by the time you're bought into lots of accessories you approach the cost of a fullsize mill, and accessories don't always transfer to the larger machine. There's the high-end, fully-jibbed, CNC upgradable machines like Prazi, but they're big $ and have less x,y,z travel of an equivalent $ full size mill. So if you have limited space or might move in the near future, preventing ownership of a 2000-3000lb. machine, you have to decide low-end or pro-level machine and deal with the limited travel. My info so far is completely avoid the mill/drills with the round columns, as they're a PITA to set up. I'm not doin nuthin til I take a few classes at the local tech school. YMMV Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:53:28 PM EDT
I have a HF mini-mill that was around $500 new. It uses R8 tooling so if I move up to a larger mill I can use all my tooling. I have done 0% AR15s, 50% AR10s, 80% 1911s, bent metal AKs, and various other small projects. Its worked out well for me.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 1:55:29 PM EDT
Whatever size you go with, get the best mill you can afford. It's just like picking a rifle. You don't want it to be the limit on accuracy. You don't need new. Some of the best mills I've used were decades old. They'd been reconditioned of course, and in some cases worked better than brand new ones. In any case, always pick a tool better then you need because you will improve with experience. It won't.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:58:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/11/2003 5:00:13 PM EDT by Stickerman]
Check out [url]http://www.homier.com/[/url] People have seen them on sale at the shows for $339 I bought my mill from them and it uses an R8 taper which most larger mills have. I've used mine for two 0% lowers and one Sig P228 pistol casting. There is a larger mill on sale at [url]http://wttool.com[/url] for around $750 that would be better if you were going to do serious work. Don't be surprised if you spend $250 or more in collets, end mills, drills, taps, cutting fluid, DRO Scales, clamping kit and a decent vise.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:33:36 AM EDT
Most of the inexpensive mills are Chinese. A little crude and sometimes a problem with parts. Try Enco, Harbor Freight. Smithy makes a nice unit. You can buy a used Bridgeport with a tone of toolinf for about $1500. Problem is the set up of a 1 ton machine. Decide the extent of your hobby and the tolerences you need. Go from there. I have a Chinese lathe for small work and it does the job for me (for the purpose intended)
Top Top