Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/28/2003 7:35:25 AM EDT
I cant seem to find info on what I need to add a Flash Suppressor to a Model-1 16" stainless steel barrel post-ban config.

And where can I get one from?
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#1]
By law you cannot add a Flash suppressor to a post ban, unless it is a mock flash suppressor.  Unless of course you are putting it on a pre ban lower and then the best way is to get the barrel threaded.  Unless you want it welded on.  which will probably cost as much as getting the barrel threaded.  Unless of course your doing it yourself.  Do a search on this site for references to legal ?s like that, they have been discussed many times.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I did do a search, and did not come up with anything on installation or who sells a mock kit.

I will keep looking.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:20:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I cant seem to find info on what I need to add a Flash Suppressor to a Model-1 16" stainless steel barrel post-ban config.

And where can I get one from?
View Quote

[nono] if you're talking about putting the whole thing on a post ban lower.  A muzzle break is fine, but not that evil feature FS.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
[:K]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:29:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
[:K]
View Quote

Ummm, maybe he's trying to put a postban upper ona preban lower.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the answers and the sarcasm.

I just looked at a few Carbon 15's and think I might try the same and use a Flash hider/Muzzle brake as a removeable device.(Carbon 15 has a Air chuck type quick remove)

Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#7]
The FFL holder who does all my transaction is a local police officer.  He told me that you can't even legally thread your barrel unless you thread on the brake, drill through the brake and into the barrel, pin it, then weld the pin permanently in place right away.  Otherwise it’s a 10 year $10k federal felony.  
Just wait till next September when the ban expires.  I hope they don’t renew it.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Doesn't matter how long you take to put the brake on over the threads as long as you never put the upper on a post-ban lower while it's threaded.

Lots of places sell post-ban legal muzzle brakes and fake flash suppresors and many of them will install them for you.  This usually involves threading the barrel, screwing on the brake/FFS, pinning it in place, welding over the pin, and refinishing.  Or any competent gunsmith can do it.  If the AWB sunsets, you can cut off the brake/FFS and put a real FS on the threads.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Uh, your cop buddy is WRONG.  You may have all the threaded barreled rifles you want, they just can not be made into "assualt rifle" configurations.  Fixed mag and no pistol grip and it is not an assualt weapon.

Remove the gas system, weld the gas hole, and you have a bolt action.  No restrictions whatsoever on bayo-lugs, threaded barrels, folding stocks, flash hiders, or grenade launchers.  There are some pump action AR looking rifles that this applies to.  There are some side cocker rifles that this also applies to.

If you build an "assualt rifle", you indeed commit a felony in these Untied States of America, but threading barrels is not against any law.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Uhhh, in the context of postban AR15s, which is what we are talking about, his buddy is correct.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are interested in mounting a flash supressor "look a like" (and these look pretty close) on a post-ban contact KKF, Kurt's Kustom Firearms.  He's done work for a BUNCH of people on these boards, myself included.

He can mount one of his muzzle brakes that look VERY close to a flash hider and actually perform a function.  AND his installs are totally legal (and affordable) so you won't have to worry about catching a felony for X-mas!

If you are mounting on a pre-ban lower then just have a local smith thread the barrel and mount one.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#12]
RTFQ,

"I cant seem to find info on what I need to add a Flash Suppressor to a Model-1 16"
          stainless steel barrel post-ban config."

Where does it say this barrel is on or going to be installed on a post ban rifle built into Assault Weapon configuration?

He can thread all the post ban barrels he wants, bushmaster et al. do it every day, so does Kurt.

FYI, a Fab-10 IS an AR rifle, as well as the various pumps and single shot varients.  And they can have all kind of evil features.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I am planning on picking up a TAC2 brake from Kurts... Does anyone know if Kurts sells a TAC2 which slides over the standard HBAR and solders on or do I need to have the barrel threaded...
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:30:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I think all of Kurt's brakes require the barrel to be threaded, but he'll thread it and pin & weld for you if you send the barrel/upper to him.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#15]
[
[size=1]Remove the gas system, weld the gas hole, and you have a bolt action.  No restrictions whatsoever on bayo-lugs, threaded barrels, folding stocks, flash hiders, or grenade launchers.  There are some pump action AR looking rifles that this applies to.  There are some side cocker rifles that this also applies to.[/size=1]

Where does it say by removingthe gas tube, you can have all the evil features?
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#16]
The AWB says "semi-automatic with detachable magazine and more than one evil feature"  No gas system = not semi-auto = not an AWB no matter how many features it has.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes I was talking about post-ban rifles.  Remeber the topic of this thread? --"How to add a Flash Suppressor to Post ban barrel"  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top