Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/27/2003 8:27:08 AM EDT
Hello All,

I have a Model-1 upper (16") with an aluminum free float handguard. I think I may want to add a rail to the bottom of the guard. What risks am I running by tapping the guard and adding a rail ? Is there a better way to accomplish this (short of buying another handguard) ?

Regards,
Paul
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I know there are FF handguards that are sold w/ rails on them, but usually they are pricey.  Also, installation would require the removal of the front sight and any muzzle brake device.

Adding a rail to the bottom would be much cheaper.  But, you run the risk of the rail being in the wrong position (I think) if you ever remove the handguard.  Tapping the handguard, I think, itn't any different then adding a rail to a 1911.  I suppose they give 3-5 screws, depending on how long the rail is, to install.  You should be fine.

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been thinking about trying this my self. The ARMS SIR is just too expensive for just adding a few rails.

Who makes just bolt on rails?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.glocksbr.com/axami/shop.php?grd=102[/url]
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Go grab an Oly FIRSH from FAC for like $80.  Its cheap and works extremely well.

If you still wanna just bolt a rail on your handguard, find a local machinist, he'll charge ya $20 or wahtever to have it mounted BDC.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info and links. I think I will go with the rail mount to my existing guard. The FIRSH looks like more than I will need as all I intend to add is a vertical grip.

Thanks Again !
-P
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#6]
One thing to consider is that depending on what kind of gas block you have, you need to make sure the screws don't stick out too far into the tube. They will hit on the block when you are threading the tube back on. I had to modify my slilng stud to keep it from hitting my block because it stuck in too far.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#7]
But, you run the risk of the rail being in the wrong position (I think) if you ever remove the handguard.

View Quote

Thats a very good point. I believe I will look for a Free Float with built on rails since they can be indexed to align the rails.

The Hirsch is uncomfortable looking?

I did find alot of different one's on this page.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Try Yankee Hill Machine.  They make the quad rail free float tubes that Bushmaster and DPMS sell.  They have various size rails from 3" to 12".  You may have to buy/customize some bolts for them though.  Not sure if they come with the rails.

https://secure.valinet.com/~yankeeh/cgi-bin/web_store/web_store.cgi?page=forearm.html&&cart_id=7606276_20124
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top