Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/23/2003 1:48:39 PM EDT
Got a question about an AR for y'all.

I have a 20" upper and was planning on purchasing a 16" upper. I personally prefer the shorter barrel length. Rather than spending the money on a new barrel/upper, if I chop off my existing barrel to 16.25" and leave on the full length hanguards (poor man's dissapator), will I have to screw with the gas port/tube?

TIA
Joel
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#1]

[url]www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/catalog/item/29585/1132.htm[/url]

Kurt at KKF offers this service and does note 'gas port work for enhanced reliability and function' as part of the package...
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I did it to a Colt chrome lined barrel and didn't make any adjustments to the gas port.  It didn't function real reliably so I cut about 2 rings of the buffer spring off.  That made it run pretty good.  

Thinking back it seems that the gas rings on the bolt were new or that it was one of those McFarlen (sp?) rings and that more than likely was the culprit.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top