Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2003 9:10:45 PM EDT
Hi all.  Great site. Found it just last week.
Anyway I have dumb question that you folks can probably answer very easily.  If I live in California can I legally build an AR from a regular 80% lower?  Or do I need to use a "toploader" type lower?  Or are both of these ideas illegal?  Would like an AR but don't want to get into trouble.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 9:31:08 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.quarterbore.com/ar15m16/fab10.htm[/url]

Since the rifle does not have a detachable mag, it is not listed as a Evil rifle.  This means that you can build the rifle with a Pre-ban upper, and still be legal in CA.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 6:53:30 AM EDT
[#2]
OK I am still a little unclear.
  It seems that I am allowed to I can build an AR on a lower with out a detachable box mag.  

But can I legally build a rifle with a detachable mag provided I start with an 80% lower that I finish myself?  

I really would like to use the regular magazine type lower but I don't want any trouble as I live in CA.   thanks again for helping a newbie.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:03:36 AM EDT
[#3]
AFAIK it's illegal to make any gun from a 0% or 80% that would be illegal to assemble from a 100%.    So if you're in CA you're stuck with a single-shot or something like the FAB-10.  

The FAB-10 has the bottom of the magwell closed off, but I don't know if that's a legal requirement.  If it is, you might have a problem with an 80% because they have the magwell finished.  I don't see why you couldn't make your own FAB-10 from a 0% though.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
  But can I legally build a rifle with a detachable mag provided I start with an 80% lower that I finish myself?  
View Quote

No. [url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=143880]80% and Kalifornia inmates[/url]
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 11:18:39 PM EDT
[#5]
What about making an 80% with a perm attached (welded or pinned) 30 round mag?
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I think "10-round mag" is written into the law.  
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay it looks like the fab ten is the only option if you live in California.  It looks like the tannery sells the ten round fixed mag lowers too.  Are these lowers from the tannery 100% finished?  how mcuh do the fab 10 lowers cost?  They don't say on their site.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top