Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2003 2:25:45 PM EDT
I was installing the detent pin that goes into the safety on my lower and I dropped it in but it will not come out. The spring that goes into the pistol grip is not needed because the pin does not move. Now the safety will not move and its stuck on fire. Any ideas on how to remove the pin and fix the problem?

thanks for looking
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't get the thing to wiggle at all. Its like I jammed it in there, but I did not, I tried to pull it out but with no luck. I even tried a rubber mallet to attempt to make fall out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you're going to have to apply some force to get the detent out somehow.  Use lots of lube in the detent hole and grab the selector switch with some pliers and lean on it to make it move in the "Safe" direction.  If that doesn't work, you might want to try drilling the detent up through the hole in the receiver and use a screw extractor to pull it out.

One thing I always do before installing a selector detent is take a file and dull the sharp point because that makes it much easier to move the selector.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Need more help.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Need more help.
View Quote

So drilling didn't work?
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:06:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I had the exact same problem with my RRA lower.  The detent was so tight in the hole that it would not allow the selector to move.  And when I disassembled it I couldn't get the detent out and still couldn't move the selector.  I tried everything!!

Here's what worked for me.  I applied oil into the detent hole and let sit for a few minutes, to hopefully allow it to penetrate and lubricate the detent and channel.  I then used a punch (covered with tape so as not to mar the finish) and hammer and forcefully drove the selector out.  I had to give it a couple of decent whacks, but it came right out.  The force of the selector being driven out pushed the detent out the bottom of the hole.  Neither part was damaged at all, nor was the receiver.  Be sure and catch the detent as it will come flying out!  I then used some fine grit paper on the detent and a handturned drill bit in the channel to remove any burrs and smooth the passage.  Applied a drop of oil to the channel, reassembled and everything works fine!

This may seem severe, but I mean I tried everything I could think of!  Good luck!

Hershey
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks BD that worked great, I had to use a little force but it did no damage and got it done. I sanded the little pin some and cut down the sprinf a little. Working well now. Thanks for the replies. I am glad it worked, I just could not bring myself to drill it out. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad I could help!  Thats a new one, normally I'm asking for help.  Let us know how the rest goes and about the finished rifle, and be sure and post some pics if you can!

Good shooting!

Hershey
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top