Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/18/2003 5:19:37 PM EDT
I just became a member of ar-15.com and I read some of the posts on what you can do and can't do as far as building an AR. But silly me I am still A little confused. What I want to know is why they sell kits that are post and pre banned if it's not legal to own them. I read that you can't put a pre upper on a postban lower. What is the difference between a preban lower and a postban lower. Is it legal to buy a Preban kit and a prebanned lower and put them together and how do you tell if the lowers are prebanned or postbanned.
My brother in law has an FFL and is looking for a lower for me. But I kinda would like to get this all straight in my thick head before I go buying the kit so I can get the right one.
Lord knows I don't want to get in trouble with big brother. Course out here in Wyoming they don't come around all that often.
Thanks alot for any help
bubba4602

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:11:03 PM EDT
THE AWB...1994 I think. Anyways, a lower made before that year was pre ban, and was not affected by the ban. Anything after that was and is affected by the rules set forth upon us to save us from evil flashings and bayonettings. I cant wait till the thing dies. Anyways...you can tell a pre ban lower by the serial number and compare it against the number in the list on this website. You can also tell...by the price! Pre ban lowers are stupid expensive.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 11:32:29 PM EDT
I've read on this site here a few things about pre ban and post ban... Pre ban: essentially the rifle was manufactured prior to 1994 AWB... pre-ban lower can only be mated to preban upper IF the weapon was assembled as such... i.e. you can't buy a preban lower and mate it to a preban upper if it was never originally configured that way... Post ban are just that... made after the 1994 AWB... don't have flash hider, bayonet lug... The only way to know for sure is to check the serial number with the manufacturer... assuming of course they're still available... The kits are sold for many reasons... for replacement parts, to allow different configurations... If I'm wrong, someone will let me know hopefully.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:56:17 AM EDT
Welcome to the site Bubba4602! Well first off, The pre/post ban thing is refering to the 1994 Assualt Weapons Ban (AWB) as scorpion and stuporman have said. As for what you can put together, A preban lower (made before Sept 1994 and was built with an upper that had two or more of the evil features(flashhider, collapseable stock, bayonet lug, and pistol grip)) can be put together wit either a pre or post ban upper. The best way to check for a preban lower is to look at the tacks at the top of the general AR board. they have a link in one of them to the serial number lists. A post ban lower (built after Sept 1994) can only be built with one evil feature, and since the AR has a Pistol grop, that is the one you can have. So you can oly put a post-ban upper on them. So there are no new preban lowers. any one you would buy would be a post ban.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:14:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By notso: As for what you can put together, A preban lower (made before Sept 1994 [red]and was built with an upper that had two or more of the evil features[/red](flashhider, collapseable stock, bayonet lug, and pistol grip)) can be put together wit either a pre or post ban upper. The best way to check for a preban lower is to look at the tacks at the top of the general AR board. they have a link in one of them to the serial number lists.
View Quote
This is correct. A lower must have been assembled in AW configuration prior to the ban to be considered a grandfathered pre-ban lower. (Actually, there are some exceptions to this, like the Colt lowers stamped AR-15.) If a pre-ban lower is stripped and transferred (sold) to someone else it will lose its pre-ban status. The owner, not the government, has the burden of proving the weapon was in AW configuration prior to Sept. 14, 1994. Serial numbers can [b]sometimes[/b] help in this regard. In some cases, like when a stripped lower was shipped from the factory instead of a complete rifle, a serial number alone does not prove anything. I suppose the kits are intended for people wanting to re-build a pre-ban lower. Hopefully, all this silliness will go away on September 14, 2004 at midnight. If so, several of my rifles will have new barrels on them before 02:00 September 15. [:D] BTW, welcome to the site.
Top Top