Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/17/2003 2:13:59 PM EDT
I put my first AR lower together the other night.  It was a DPMS lower and DPMS parts kit.  It went perfect, in fact it was pretty simple.  I have to say, DPMS has a great lower and parts kit.  My question is, is the upper as easy to put together as the lower, or should I just buy the upper complete?  I like putting stuff together, you get a better feel for how it works.  But I don't want to get into a mess either.  What uppers do you guys prefer?  Any other advise would be appreciated also.

Thanks,
Mack
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
You can buy assembled uppers, in the kits you see the upper is usually already assembled, only the lower needs to be assembled.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#2]
It kind of depends on your long term vision:

Putting an AR upper together is not all that difficult, but it does require some specialized tools.

If time/finances/and desire dictate that you will build other ARs, then I say go for it and invest in the tools.  You will enjoy your hobby even more.  however, if you are only going to have one for a while, I believe(and someone here will correct me), that you probably will end up spending more building your first upper(with quality parts and including the initial tool expense)than buying a complete assembly.  It obviously gets cheaper(so to speak) as you spread the cost of your initial tool investment over the other uppers built.

I'm a late bloomer in the AR field.  I built a stripped lower, and decided that time and finances were not going to allow multiple AR builds in the near future-so I bought a complete upper and went shooting.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome amack!

Make sure you assemble your upper completely before installing the barrel assy.

The ejection port door and pin can be a bitch if you don't. If it has a FA - forward assist.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a parts kit from Model 1 Sales and have been very happy with it. I am thinking of building the next one just to be able to say I did.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top