Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/17/2003 2:13:59 PM EDT
I put my first AR lower together the other night. It was a DPMS lower and DPMS parts kit. It went perfect, in fact it was pretty simple. I have to say, DPMS has a great lower and parts kit. My question is, is the upper as easy to put together as the lower, or should I just buy the upper complete? I like putting stuff together, you get a better feel for how it works. But I don't want to get into a mess either. What uppers do you guys prefer? Any other advise would be appreciated also.

Thanks,
Mack
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:09:21 PM EDT
You can buy assembled uppers, in the kits you see the upper is usually already assembled, only the lower needs to be assembled.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:18:54 PM EDT
It kind of depends on your long term vision: Putting an AR upper together is not all that difficult, but it does require some specialized tools. If time/finances/and desire dictate that you will build other ARs, then I say go for it and invest in the tools. You will enjoy your hobby even more. however, if you are only going to have one for a while, I believe(and someone here will correct me), that you probably will end up spending more building your first upper(with quality parts and including the initial tool expense)than buying a complete assembly. It obviously gets cheaper(so to speak) as you spread the cost of your initial tool investment over the other uppers built. I'm a late bloomer in the AR field. I built a stripped lower, and decided that time and finances were not going to allow multiple AR builds in the near future-so I bought a complete upper and went shooting.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 4:29:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/18/2003 4:34:12 PM EDT by Minuteman419]
Welcome amack! Make sure you assemble your upper completely before installing the barrel assy. The ejection port door and pin can be a bitch if you don't. If it has a FA - forward assist. Danny
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:02:01 PM EDT
I bought a parts kit from Model 1 Sales and have been very happy with it. I am thinking of building the next one just to be able to say I did.
Top Top