Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/11/2003 5:16:53 AM EDT
Anyone out there shooting MOA with one?  Thanks,
L'man

P.S.  Thanks Veterans!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:44:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I've only built one kit.  It was a J&T CAR-15.  It shot 1" @50yds with the A2 sights.  I have no doubt it would shoot MOA with optics and good ammo.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 9:51:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I was getting shots all over the paper, 10" groups were normal, pretty depressing actually. It got much better once I installed the rear sight.

Now I'm shooting 1.5" at 200 yards. not too bad
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#3]
My J&T 20" A2 is not grouping well at all.  Cant get a group at 100yds (well I can if you call 12" a group) and at fifty it is not to great eather.  I am using Wolf ammo but sill that is just not right.  It does not do any better with optics mounted.  I like the gun, it works 100% but the accuracy is not there.?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a RRA 24" upper with the 1:12 twist on a 0% forging I just finished.  After breaking in the barrel and using 50gr Nosler BT's, the first five shot group at 100yrds measured .19" ctc.  I have posted pictures of the group on the AR Specific Home Smithing section of www.roderuscustom.tzo.com.    
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
The biggest part of accuracy is the shooter. When I started with my JT Distributing 16" carbine kit, I thought the rifle was terrible; I was grouping 5" at 50 yards.. Much practice later, I now shoot 2" at 100 yards with a Trijicon Reflex (6.5MOA reticle) and Wolf ammunition. For me, a big part of the problem was that irons aren't usable for me (yes, even with much coaching from marine friends of mine).

I am confident that with maginified optics, a competant shooter, and good ammo, the rifle would be able to deliver sub MOA precision.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#6]
there only as good as the shooter..ammo...barrel...

i got a j&t that out shoots me everytime. i havnt got a good scope but after 3000 rounds it still shoots better than i can. yesterday my hunting ammo did 1.2 moa with a eotech and its resently done the same with match ammo and the irons. i can imagine a 16x scope and a good shooter would find less than 1 moa more often than not with this kit gun.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm routinely sub MOA with my second build, a real mutt gun.  It is outshooting my RRA HB at the moment, but that's due to the type ammo I'm using.

Jim
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I still have faith in my AR.  I am just not sure what to try.  Maby it is the irons and maby the scope is mounted wrong.  I am a decent shooter and pull some good groups with my other guns.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#9]
ak007, can you tell us more about your AR such as what twist rifling, weight bullet, are you using a bipod, any dings around the muzzle?  I would think something is bad wrong to get a 12" group at 100 yards.

Kevin
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#10]
My rifle is a new J&T 20" 1/9" twist A2 Hbar on a eagle arms lower.  I gave it a 15 min trigger job.  I am mostly using Wolf 55gr FMJ, but I have used other stuff.  Nothing I can see is wrong with the gun.  The only thing I can think of is that maby when I first got the gun I dammaged it with a Hoppies three peace cleaning rod when inserting the rod down the muzzel.  I now clean it the other way.  I am mounting a BSA red dot on it.  I cant mount that worng (un-level) so it should group.    
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top