Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/11/2003 4:00:23 AM EDT
Quick question: I'm thinking of building my first AR, and I'm wondering if I need to get an ambi selector, or if I can just install the normal selector on the other side.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 4:40:50 AM EDT
First off, don't listen to the naysayers that will tell you to just learn how to do everything like a righty. The AR-15 was designed for right-handed personnel, hence the controls are ergonomically position for right-handed efficiency. Sure one could learn how, but given the amount of time for this learning curb one could spend that extra time learning other fundamentals of shooting. If it's a personal rifle, personalize it to you (and most of the lefty stuff is ambidextrous so it can be used right-handed as well). That being said, I don't know the answer to your question...just trying to pre-emptively answer the responses you're going to recieve.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:12:22 AM EDT
Installing the normal selector/safety on from the other side is not possible due to the detent and the "slots" in the safety. IIRC, some company made a safety that did have slots to engage the detent when installed from the other side. Or you could just get an amby safty and install it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 11:32:59 AM EDT
Put a DPMS Ambi on my RR. Simply relpaces the selector switch with the right side lever held in key slot with an allen head screw.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:09:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/13/2003 4:11:03 AM EDT by 123whisper]
I always wondered how the other lever was secured on besides the screw. So it is solid right? No chance of it coming loose?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:25:30 PM EDT
I have 2 AR's built or customized by me for left hand use. Both have Ambi safeties and Ambi mag releases. Well worth it to me. One is a left-handed DPMS receiver . I love it, finally now I can lend it to a right handed shooter and let them see what I have to put up with. I have toyed with the idea of cutting the right side safety lever off. may still do it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:42:20 PM EDT
I haven't seen an ambi mag release, who makes those?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:15:59 PM EDT
"I always wondered how the other lever was secured on besides the screw. So it is solid right? No chance of it coming loose?" It's a solid mechnical connection with the allen head simply holding it into the slot on the main body of the safety's x-pin. Put mine on with #242 "Blue" Loctite and it has yet to loosen at all. Think you'd notice it long befor it became a problem.
Top Top