Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2003 2:30:06 PM EDT
I'm assembling a standard Eagle Arms lower.  I ordered a RRA NM two-stage trigger.  The pins are both .156.  The problem is that they are too tight.  I measured a pin from a standard trigger and it measures at .154 and it fits the lower just fine!  Can I use the .154 on this receiver/trigger combo or am I dead in the water?TIA
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used the smaller stock pins several times without problems.  

I was reluctant to drive the larger pins through my pre-ban lower.

Be sure to function check the trigger.

Link Posted: 11/4/2003 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks oldguy, that's the way I feel.  I have heart burn enlarging those holes.  I'll follow your advice (it's only a buck for two pins).  Again, thanks for the help.
VR
Vinny D
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Guys,

I installed a RRA National Match trigger in my AR  a few months ago, and the pins were  slightly oversized in the kit I purchased from Pete @ ar15sales.com. If you got the same instructions sheet and kit from RRA as I did, it explains that the pins are a few thousandths larger than the trigger and sear holes, to keep the pins from walking out, and to remove any play in the very important sear angles. I tapped then in with a pin punch, and it's been great every since. 4lbs, and super clean break.  This won't address if you're not comfortable with driving slightly oversized pins into your lower, but they are oversized intentionally from RRA.

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I didn't want to risk damaging my lower, so I also kept the factory BM pins.  The trigger passed all the safety checks listed on the RRA instructions, but I haven't fired it yet.  If the pins start to walk, I'll consider using the RRA pins.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#5]
M4-Guy has the right idea.  The oversized pins are nice if you need them, otherwise just hold onto them in case the holes enlarge on you, or you get a receiver with loose holes.  Not everyone needs or uses the oversize, but they are great if you need them.  If you don't want them, I'll take them off your hands.

P.S. I used regular sized pins in my rifle that I put an RRA into.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:34:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Get the KNS Precision pins from Brownells.  They measure .1553 (listed by Brownells as .155 and on the package as .1555) and are a PERFECT snug fit in my Bushmaster lower.  There's NO play but also NO forcing them in.  Super nice pins too.

By the way, I also bought the RRA trigger and sold it when I learned about the oversize pin thing.  I bought the AS instead and LOVE it!

BTW Mike, I notice that the AS trigger seemed more crisp in breaking with these pins.  Before I had just been using the largest Mil-Spec pins I could find, which was .1543.  Also these pins took the play out of the system geometry and necessitated removing just a tiny bit more off the rear of the trigger where it fits to the selector.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Ellery, I have noted the same effect from another friend who has loose pin holes.  He was surprised at how much better his match trigger became when he used a pin system that wasn't so loose (he tried my KNS captive pin set).  His lower came that way.  He is going to try the oversized KNS pins.  When I posted above about how I wouldn't mind taking the oversized pins off of vinnyd, it was because I was going to send them to my friend.  My receiver pin holes are pretty tight and don't require the oversized pins.  I would have to pound in the oversized pins to use them.  I'll wait till they get a little looser before I do that.  I must agree that loose pins can be detrimental to good trigger action and anyone with loose pins should use the oversized pins.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Denny, I thought I would mention the KNS captive pin set I mentioned, [b]I got from you! (globaltactical.com)[/b].  They are mighty fine, and I got them for my M16 to prevent accelerated wear.  However, my friend found them to make a significant difference in his trigger action as he had loose pinholes.  I believe he is converted now and has decided to order the oversized KNS pins.  In anycase, the KNS pins are really, really awesome pins of very high quality.  They should be called - "match pins", heh!

Thanks for hooking me up, and opening my friends eyes to the benefits!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top