Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/4/2003 1:06:39 PM EDT
Presenting AR's # 6 & 7 of my collection.
The 20" A2 just completed and fired minutes ago.
Specs:
Stinger Lower
RRA A2 Upper
Bushy 20" N.M. Heavy Chrome Lined Barrel 5.56 1x9 Post Ban Kit
Bushy Bolt
RRA Lower Kit
Funky looking Armalite Stock (what can I do to make it look better?

My last build just wanted to be in the pic, the Carbine.

What ya think?

Danny
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 1:30:28 PM EDT
They both look good! What do you mean by funny looking Armalite stock? The fact that it is grey? If that's it, just rub some CLP on it to darken it up. Scott
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 1:45:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By watertower: They both look good! What do you mean by funny looking Armalite stock? The fact that it is grey? If that's it, just rub some CLP on it to darken it up. Scott
View Quote
Thanks. The stock looks like it has been sandpapered, or steel wooled. The CLP didn't help. I'll get used to it. I guess if the handguards matched the stock it would be better looking. I'm a picky fucker anyway. Danny
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 2:07:31 PM EDT
That's strange, I had a stock that looked the same as the pic and a little oil made it match the handgaurds. IIRC my stock was a little on rough side too. It will probably darken up after some handling. Still looks good though. Scott
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 5:02:52 PM EDT
Nice pair! I buy RemOil in the aerosol can for the sole purpose of spraying down ARs when they are new to make everything match pretty well. I give em a good coat and let them set overnight and wipe down the excess with a lint free cloth the next day. Works wonders.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:01:56 PM EDT
GHILLIE, What do you use for a lint free cloth? Everything I seem to use gets fuzzies all over. I do the same as you except I spray them with Liguid Wrench with Teflon.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:34:04 PM EDT
I think the finish of the "funky looking stock" is meant to be non reflective. You can also wipe down with a dark color cloth, at least the lint won't show.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 2:01:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HK_DUDE: GHILLIE, What do you use for a lint free cloth? Everything I seem to use gets fuzzies all over. I do the same as you except I spray them with Liguid Wrench with Teflon.
View Quote
A black T shirt works best no fuzzes, cause they are black.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:39:41 PM EDT
never tried it myself but I've heard some folks say that Armorall will keep it "dark" for longer time than rem oil/clp.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 4:12:13 PM EDT
Thanks Guys! I'm gonna try a little of everything in different spots to see what works best and get back to ya. FWIW, the handguards and the stock were from the same package, both Armalite. I just hope it shoots well on target. Functioned fine while blasting at a stump. Danny
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:31:41 PM EDT
I use a cloth I bought at Lowes or Menards in the stain section. It is about a 1'x2' cloth that is used for wipe on stain or something IIRC. It is about like a cotton pillow case. Nothing is totally lint free I suppose, but this is about the best I've found.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:41:23 PM EDT
good looking set of rifles ya got there, MM.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 7:51:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/7/2003 7:56:54 PM EDT by _DR]
Originally Posted By Minuteman419:
Originally Posted By watertower: They both look good! What do you mean by funny looking Armalite stock? The fact that it is grey? If that's it, just rub some CLP on it to darken it up. Scott
View Quote
Thanks. The stock looks like it has been sandpapered, or steel wooled. The CLP didn't help. I'll get used to it. I guess if the handguards matched the stock it would be better looking. I'm a picky fucker anyway. Danny
View Quote
My Oly stock was the same when new. I use Tetra oil on my guns, so I rubbed it into the stock. UNlike CLP, which I had done also, it will stay in the material of the stock and protect it, giving it dark-grayish to black look. Try it. I still clean with CLP, but Tetra is much better for lubrication/preservation than CLP. I grew up on CLP, so it took a lot to change me, but that Tetra Oil is excellent. [img]http://ironbrigadearmory.com/shopping/images/TetraOil4oz_130.gif[/img]
Top Top