Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/17/2003 8:39:45 PM EDT
I recently inherited an M-16 stripped upper and lower reciever + original barrel + stock etc. Can a rebuild be done using AR-15 parts?

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 2:23:04 AM EDT
For the most part, yes. However, if you legally own the M16 lower, why build it into an AR-15 instead of an M16? Did you receive the M16 lower legally and is it registered? If not, you would be in serious violation of the law. But if you inherited it the right way, and it's a true registered (to you) lower receiver, then you can rebuild it with M16 parts and now you have an $8000-10,000 rifle, as opposed to a $600 AR-15. Remember, even if you rebuilt it with AR-15 parts, and it only fired in semi-auto, that M16 lower is STILL a machine gun to the ATFE, and it had better be registered or it could mean many, many years in the federal pen. Why was the upper and lower stripped in the first place?
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 3:49:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AK_Mike: For the most part, yes. However, if you legally own the M16 lower, why build it into an AR-15 instead of an M16? Did you receive the M16 lower legally and is it registered? If not, you would be in serious violation of the law. But if you inherited it the right way, and it's a true registered (to you) lower receiver, then you can rebuild it with M16 parts and now you have an $8000-10,000 rifle, as opposed to a $600 AR-15. Remember, even if you rebuilt it with AR-15 parts, and it only fired in semi-auto, that M16 lower is STILL a machine gun to the ATFE, and it had better be registered or it could mean many, many years in the federal pen. Why was the upper and lower stripped in the first place?
View Quote
Sounds very wierd to me[:(]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:45:18 AM EDT
If it has the 1/8" hole in the lower above the selector switch hole, it is legally a machine gun. Even stripped, without any parts.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:18:35 AM EDT
Yes it does have a hole above the selector switch. But, I don't plan on utilizing that hole if it's intentions are for a full-auto functionality. I just want to go "target" shooting.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 8:24:15 AM EDT
Being a Newbee to guns in general, this will be my first rifle. My father was a Vietnam Vet, Navy Seal, who collected this stuff. I just ended up with his collection. I just thought that making it an AR-15 would make the rifle leagal. I guess I'll have to get it registered along with the other guns that came along with it. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 9:54:59 AM EDT
Sounds like Daddy the SEAL had sticky fingers[:D]. And yes, I can see why it would have been stripped. Easier to bury in the bottom of a duffel bag, one piece at a time, mixed in w/the socks, skivvies, etc.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:53:47 AM EDT
Oh believe me...with the influx of illegal immigrants and God knows what into our great country, I would never impose on a U.S citizen's 2nd ammendment right to bear arms. Being aware of the legalities around the do's and dont's, and headaches of mixing and matching. I think I'll just use the handguns I've inherited; and just buy a Bushy. Thanks All!
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 12:07:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/19/2003 12:08:57 PM EDT by manghu67]
first off, i would like to say one thing: YOU LUCKY BASTARD!!!! actually, a much better place your you to ask for advice would be here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=14 it is my understanding that if the M-16 reciever that you have is legal (ie: not stolen from the government) and was registered prior to 1984, then you should be good to go... as you inherited it, i dont think it is necessary for you to pay the $200 transfer tax or go through the regular NFA paperwork that the rest up us would have to if we purchased one (not to mention the $5-10K it would cost us!) on the other hand, if the reciever is not legal (ie: stolen or unregistered), my advice to you would be contact a good lawyer... with that in mind, and providing you are totally legal, why in the HELL would you want to put ar-15 parts in an m-16!?!? get some m-16 parts and LET HER RIP!!!! considering your first question, there is nothing inherently illegal in placing ar-15 parts in an m-16... it is, however, EXTREMELY ILLEGAL to place m-16 parts in an ar-15...
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:59:41 PM EDT
The problem is, if you 'inherited' it like say, getting a box full of stuff handed over to you, then you have a machinegun that is not registered to you, and you are in hot water. If the lower was registered to him, on paper, you can legally inherit it, but there is more paperwork involved to make it legal and for you to own it properly. Someone just handing you 'Dad's stuff', without filing the correct paperwork, can make you a felon. If that M16 lower is not registered to you, either GET RID OF IT, OR GET IT REGISTERED TO YOU LEGALLY. If it was not acquired by your father legally (and I suspect such if it was originally government property), then you can't even get it transfered to you legally. I would also not suggest you just throw it in a drawer and forget about it cause if it ever gets reported, then you are going to jail, or at the very least, court. Where I live, if there is any kind of incident and the troopers show up, they run the S/N for every gun they happen to see to make sure they are not stolen. If that M16 lower was acquired legally by your father, I recommend getting it transfered to you legally by registering it with ATFE, cause it is potentially worth over $8000, and that is a VERY good thing [:D]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:54:49 PM EDT
yeah, what ak-mike said...
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 11:44:20 AM EDT
bro, do some serious research into machine guns in the US. There not illegal like everyone thinks. BUT they are extremely regulated and limited! ignore all this "lawyer, youll fry for this, better run" garbage. just dont take it anywhere till you find out exactly what it is. Once you do the research youll know what to do. Take your time and do it right. Some people on this board like to hear themselves talk and think its the end of the world if you make a mistake. Just keep that thing on the down low till ya find out what the REAL deal is on it. Then act responsibly. Just remember this: the BATF doesnt mess around.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 9:05:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/21/2003 9:24:06 PM EDT by manghu67]
i got news for you, joshua... the atf takes unregistered machineguns VERY seriously... dont believe me? call em and tell them that YOU have one in YOUR posession, and see how long it takes them to show up at your door... if that reciver isnt registered or is stolen, then its HIGHLY illegal... ownership of a registered machine gun IS legal in the united states provided all of the following are true: A) it is legal for you to posess one in your locality (some states have different laws regarding this)... B) you filled out the approprite atf paperwork and submitted it, along with fingerprint cards, and your cleo sign off (provided youre not filing for it as a corporation)... you also have to include the paperwork to prove you are a us citizen, as well as your $200 transfer tax... C) you have in your hot little hands the approved paperwork back from the atf (which to my understanding, can take up to 6 months)... if the reciver IS registered and ISNT stolen, (and hes allowed to have it in his locality), then all he has to do is submit the transfer paperwork and wait to get it back from the atf... then hes good to go...
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:28:53 AM EDT
Yea! What Joshua said . Stop the parinoia!
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:27:17 AM EDT
dude, its not about paranoia... its about presenting the facts so this guy has an idea of what to do and what not to... unregistered machine guns arent a laughing matter, theyre serious business... the atf doesnt care if "i didnt know it wasnt legal"... that kind of defense wont stand up in court, and thats exactly where youll find yourself if the atf discovers you are in posession of an unregistered machine gun... end of story... i dont know about anyone else, but an illegal firearm isnt worth the loss of my personal freedom, the monetary cost of fines and legal fees, or the loss of my ability to EVER own another firearm again as long as i shall live..
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 2:57:07 PM EDT
I completly agree with your statement about illegal firearms not being worth it. That is why I have no illegal firearms. I coughed up the big bucks for ONE preban ar15 that I own and the rest of my shizzle is post ban. I am in total dito with you about keeping the law. If you read my post again I specifically state that the BATF doesnt mess around. BUT!!!! Your condescending knowitall post only agrivates matters and causes confusion. I am totally aware of the laws regarding NFA firearms and the complexity regarding them. That is why I suggest one does there own long and hard research without the barrage of other people giving pannic advice because they like to hear themselves speak and sound like they are an authority on the subject matter. I assure you the ATF has better things to do than breathe down the backs of every gunowner in the US waiting for someone to tap a hole in thier reciever. I do beleive they will pursue people who are stupid enough to advertise thier contraband. I KNOW they do not catch even some of the more obvious offenders As I have seen them personally get away with some outrageous things. That is why I made the comments I did. I apologize if I have created a Machine Gun Monster but I seriously doubt it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:22:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/24/2003 2:48:34 AM EDT by postino]
It would probably be a good idea not to take that out shooting until you are sure about its legality...
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:47:19 PM EDT
I finally gathered up all the paper work on the M-16 and all the other weapons last Wednesday. Im having my lawyer look over them. Although I do like the sound of $8,000, if that's what a legally owned M-16 U/L reciever goes for. With that price I can buy two Bushys and more!
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:49:33 PM EDT
That's a good step to take. A word of caution though--make sure the attorney you chose is really familiar with federal firearms law (a subject most attorneys are clueless about). If not, he/she is going to charge you a lot of money while they are learning what they should already have known before they accepted your retainer, and even then you may or may not get sound advice.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 11:03:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Oreilly: I finally gathered up all the paper work on the M-16 and all the other weapons last Wednesday. Im having my lawyer look over them. Although I do like the sound of $8,000, if that's what a legally owned M-16 U/L reciever goes for. With that price I can buy two Bushys and more!
View Quote
Hell, with what you could sell the M-16 for, you could buy TEN Bushies!
Top Top