Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2003 6:35:26 AM EDT
Can't find my buttstock screw...must I order a specific replacement or is there another option? Please be kind... Tim
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:20:04 AM EDT
I asked a similar question some time ago - seeking a commercial (better quality or possibly stainless) version of the screws. Essentially, I was told I had to buy the screws because they were quite specific to the AR.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 9:32:01 AM EDT
I think the important thing in the AR buttstock screw is the little hole...something about venting the pressure caused by the buffer tube...I certainly don't know the technical reasons, but that's what I remember...and that's why you can't just use any screw that fits. Sorry I can't be more technical, nor provide more detailed info.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:52:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/16/2003 11:26:15 PM EDT by Tweak]
The drain hole in the upper buttstock screw is essential in an outdoor rifle. Without it the lower receiver extension can fill with water either during stream crossings or rain storms. This creates an in-compressible column behind the buffer which will cause the rifle to malfunction. The drain hole plays no part in the mechanical operation of the piece. As proof of this I offer that the drain hole is not mentioned in the milspec, the -23&P manual, or the troubleshooting section of any military manual. The -10 mentions it in relation to fording streams in the "Operations under Unusual Conditions" section. Edited to add, check page 75 of "The Black Rifle" there's a nice pic of the butt plate of AR15 #8. There is no drain hole in the upper buttstock screw.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:10:37 AM EDT
I'm not quite sure how much I'd worry about the drain hole unless you're planning on taking your AR with you into the bath. I know some of you guys sleep with your rifles, but maybe you should draw the line there. [:D] Seriously, there's no reason you can't just replace the buttstock screw with one from the local hardware store. I've done it, and it worked just fine. Your main problem is going to be finding the "NF" (National Fine) threaded part at your neighborhood Home Depot. The OEM AR buttstock screw is a 1/4" x 28 - 1 3/16" long flat head. Last time I found one locally, it was at an industrial and aircraft hardware supplier, and they had them in stainless. I even got some 5/8" longer than stock so I could use a second buffer tube spacer and one of those "turn your A1 into an A2" stock spacer kits from Bushmaster for a long-armed customer who thought the A2 stock was still to short. It worked like a charm. But he'll still have to keep it out of the bath. [:P]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:53:39 AM EDT
Any bolt & screw supplier should have one with proper threads. They are usually phillips head instead of slotted, don't have a drain hole, and are usually found only in stainless, but they will work.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 7:56:46 AM EDT
BTW: The A1 buttstock screw is 9/16" long, and has a #44 drill hole thru it. The only use I ever found for the hole was to spray LSA on your nice clean utility shirt...
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 12:14:24 PM EDT
postino: [ROFL2] yeah, you dont need a screw with the hole, unless you plan on going for a swim... in fact, if you buy a cav arms stock (which are excellent), the screw that comes with it doesnt have the drainhole...
Top Top