Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/15/2003 4:18:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/15/2003 4:23:31 PM EDT by H_upmann]
I am trying to decide on mid length or car handguards are there any benefits with one or the other. It will be a flattop and I will install a scope does the standard front site interfere with the scope or should I get the gas block.

http://home.midsouth.rr.com/midsouthhunting/0d7f7320.jpg
http://home.midsouth.rr.com/midsouthhunting/0d8ee340.jpg
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:23:15 PM EDT
it really depends on the scope and your head position, i have seen some scopes with big ass objectives that they needed risers on the mounts and it put the scope up higher than the frontsite post. I personally would get the gas block with rail and then get a flip up front site post, I am a believer in having iron sites as a back up to the scopes/aimpoints etc. As far as car. vs. midlength, not really sure it matters other than where you like to put your support hand. Taller folks like to reach out a lil futher down the handguard, so take that into account. hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:26:06 PM EDT
Depends on if, you have a Mid or Car upper ? A mid upper gives you a longer sight radius.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 3:47:56 PM EDT
I like the mid-length better, but it's easier to find stuff for the car length (handguards, RIS, RAS, SIR, etc. As far as the gas blocks go, I like the picatinny blocks because they are out of the way of optics, and you can install a pop-up sight on it if you want to.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:47:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By techbrute: I like the mid-length better, but it's easier to find stuff for the car length (handguards, RIS, RAS, SIR, etc. As far as the gas blocks go, I like the picatinny blocks because they are out of the way of optics, and you can install a pop-up sight on it if you want to.
View Quote
Ditto on everything but the gas block. Stanard front sight will be more reliable, and you might decide that the fixed front sight works just fine for you. Ordered my kit with the A2 front sight. If I decide to go flip-up, I'll then spend $100+ and buy the PRI.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:01:20 AM EDT
Well, I got the gas block since I already had the front sight, and chopped down rear sight. I have a red dot on this rifle, with no plans to change the setup...so I got the gas block for the cleaner look, knowing I'd only be using the front sight as a back up. It's all personal preference, really, especially if you have more than one rifle...you can pretty much fix 'em all up do do different things.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 10:56:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/22/2003 10:57:12 PM EDT by _DR]
Full or mid length handguards vs shorty result in a longer sight radius, can be slightly more accurate, obly if you plan on using the iron sight. All boils down to a matter of preference though.
Top Top