Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2003 9:07:55 PM EDT
Been working towards an AR15 pistol, in 7.62X39, from an 80% Tannery CMM receiver.  Got the upper fitted (Hesse/Vulcan, had to use it, it's light) and fire control group fitted, grip installed, mag catch, and the small stuff done.  Big part will be drilling/tapping the buffer tower, but that's not my question....

Going to lighten it with holes ala OA98 style (will use OA98 as a pattern).  Already removed the ridge for the pivot pin detent and the safety fence, not necessary, will use a different system of keeping the upper and lower attached and bond on lighter safety fence.  Going to bond .020" aircraft quality woven graphite sheets over the swiss cheesed lightning holes (to be drilled) in the mag well area, with extentions of the sheets going up over the pivot hole lugs.  Have some kevlar sheets I'm going to wet layup in some areas for strength edge, still no questions...

The question is on the buffer, got a pistol buffer and the thing is awfully heavy.  Sure doesn't seem to have much throw rearward either.  

1.  Can I trim the fat off the buffer tube and end cap to lighten it?

2.  Planning on an adjustable gas tube provision, to regulate the operation.  Any potential problems with the pistol buffer using a 7.62X39 round?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top